From: Dan on
I am learning VB.NET for sometime now and curious to know what am I missing
by not learning C#.
Also wanted to know is there anything VB.NET can do and C# cannot.

Looks like C# getting popular day by day.

Thanks for your guidence.
Dan

From: James Irvine on
Dan wrote:
> I am learning VB.NET for sometime now and curious to know what am I missing
> by not learning C#.
> Also wanted to know is there anything VB.NET can do and C# cannot.
>
> Looks like C# getting popular day by day.
>
> Thanks for your guidence.
> Dan

There are a few obscure things VB.NET can do that C# cannot, and
vice-versa. For all practical purposes, though, their capabilities are
the same.

As you say, it appears C# getting popular day by day. And as the syntax
is more like JavaScript, Java, etc., and more pithy, C# it seems to be
the wave of the future. The only reason I can think of for using VB is
because you're already familiar with it, or something like it.
From: Martin Honnen on
Dan wrote:

> I am learning VB.NET for sometime now and curious to know what am I missing
> by not learning C#.

The main feature I miss in VB.NET is "yield" respectively "iterators".
If you want to implement your own extension method for LINQ to XML for
instance (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb387045.aspx) that
does lazy evaluation then you can do that with "yield" easily in C#
while with VB.NET you would need to implement iterators first. Possible
of course but requires writing more code.

--

Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/
From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"Dan" <Dan(a)nospaml.com> wrote in message

> I am learning VB.NET for sometime now and curious to know what am I
> missing by not learning C#.

A little out of date, but still mostly valid:
http://www.dnjonline.com/article.aspx?ID=mar05_vbvscsharp

> Also wanted to know is there anything VB.NET can do and C# cannot.

Nothing of any value.

> Looks like C# getting popular day by day.

Definitely.

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: Norman Yuan on
Although many say C# is a bit more popular than VB.NET, and one do not need
to know both, there is a catch for those who only know C# and illiteral to
VB.NET:

If you do SQL Server reporting, you'd need to know some basic VB syntext for
the report development. With the coming Windows Foundation in .NET 4.0, one
surely need to write a lot expression in WF's declarative XAML.
Unfortunately, you have to use VB syntex, not C#.