From: Michael T on
I can use music and software installation CDs just fine on my Dell laptop
using an optical CD RW drive.

I used to be able to burn blank CDs.

But now when I insert a blank CD I get the following symptoms:

It shows zero bytes available.
When I click on the "D:\" icon (in My Computer) a popup (dialog box) shows
"D:\ is not accessible",

AFTER FOUR YEARS HAS MY CD PLAYER BECOME DEFECTIVE.

Here's what I have tried.
1) Three different blank CDs
2) Reinstalled the driver
3) Cleaned the optical reader
4) Checked the "Drive Type" setting with REGEDIT

It is puzzling that I can only use non-blank CDs with this player.

Note: Part description from Dell - Compact Disk Read Write/Digital Video
Disk DriveCombo,24X,Sony,Sullivan/Tobago

Note 2:
Before I insert the CD the "My Computer" display shows "DVD/CD-RW Drive
(D:)".
After I insert the CD the "My Computer" display shows "CD Drive (D:)".
This much is correct ... I compared with a second computer. But it should
display how many bytes are available also.

Any ideas? Or do I need a new player?

From: Peter Foldes on
Michael

See the following
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q316529

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

From: Michael T on
"Peter Foldes" <maci252211(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Michael
>
> See the following
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q316529
>
> --
> Peter

My bad Peter.

In an attempt to speed up my old laptop I had disabled some services some
time ago ... including MAPI CD-Burning COM Services.

This is why my computer was not recognizing a blank CD for the purpose of
burning files to it.