From: Anti-Spam on
My neighbour would like to hook up to my internet connection on a
fairly infrequent basis. He only live here in the summer months. His
computer is full of pop-ups, toolbars etc etc where he does not really
know what he is doing or downloading. Last year I ran an ethernet
cable into his place and hooked him up with a wired connection to my
previous adsl modem/wireless router. I am also connected via an
ethernet connection.

It may have been coincidental, but for the first time in a very long
while, my PC got infected (I am running Norton Internet Security 2010)
soon after hooking him up, and I lost more stuff than I want to
remember.

At the moment I disconnect my ethernet connection when I go out to
work, and hook his one up.

Although this works, I would prefer to put some sort of Isolating
hardware between him and me, so we can both be connected at the same
time.

I have since replaced the adsl modem/wireless router for a Belkin
F5D7634-4 V2, but as far as I can tell, this router, does not support
VLAN.

Can anybody please offer a solution to this problem, thanks.
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 15:55:16 +0200, in
<l27g56lbprqrqua185mcft0pj1e6tn2gel(a)4ax.com>, Anti-Spam <Anti(a)Spam.com>
wrote:

>My neighbour would like to hook up to my internet connection on a
>fairly infrequent basis. He only live here in the summer months. His
>computer is full of pop-ups, toolbars etc etc where he does not really
>know what he is doing or downloading. Last year I ran an ethernet
>cable into his place and hooked him up with a wired connection to my
>previous adsl modem/wireless router. I am also connected via an
>ethernet connection.
>
>It may have been coincidental, but for the first time in a very long
>while, my PC got infected (I am running Norton Internet Security 2010)
>soon after hooking him up, and I lost more stuff than I want to
>remember.
>
>At the moment I disconnect my ethernet connection when I go out to
>work, and hook his one up.
>
>Although this works, I would prefer to put some sort of Isolating
>hardware between him and me, so we can both be connected at the same
>time.
>
>I have since replaced the adsl modem/wireless router for a Belkin
>F5D7634-4 V2, but as far as I can tell, this router, does not support
>VLAN.
>
>Can anybody please offer a solution to this problem, thanks.

For complete isolation (both directions):
Have your neighbor buy two cheap routers and give them to you.
Put your own network on new router A.
Put the neighbor on new router B
Connect both new routers to the Belkin.
<http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi_How_To#Isolate_Two_Networks>

p.s. Since this is a wired issue, it really doesn't belong here.

--
John FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>
From: Anti-Spam on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 10:18:26 -0700, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 15:55:16 +0200, in
><l27g56lbprqrqua185mcft0pj1e6tn2gel(a)4ax.com>, Anti-Spam <Anti(a)Spam.com>
>wrote:
>
>>My neighbour would like to hook up to my internet connection on a
>>fairly infrequent basis. He only live here in the summer months. His
>>computer is full of pop-ups, toolbars etc etc where he does not really
>>know what he is doing or downloading. Last year I ran an ethernet
>>cable into his place and hooked him up with a wired connection to my
>>previous adsl modem/wireless router. I am also connected via an
>>ethernet connection.
>>
>>It may have been coincidental, but for the first time in a very long
>>while, my PC got infected (I am running Norton Internet Security 2010)
>>soon after hooking him up, and I lost more stuff than I want to
>>remember.
>>
>>At the moment I disconnect my ethernet connection when I go out to
>>work, and hook his one up.
>>
>>Although this works, I would prefer to put some sort of Isolating
>>hardware between him and me, so we can both be connected at the same
>>time.
>>
>>I have since replaced the adsl modem/wireless router for a Belkin
>>F5D7634-4 V2, but as far as I can tell, this router, does not support
>>VLAN.
>>
>>Can anybody please offer a solution to this problem, thanks.
>
>For complete isolation (both directions):
>Have your neighbor buy two cheap routers and give them to you.
>Put your own network on new router A.
>Put the neighbor on new router B
>Connect both new routers to the Belkin.
><http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi_How_To#Isolate_Two_Networks>
>
>p.s. Since this is a wired issue, it really doesn't belong here.

Excellent will go this route, thanks.

Sorry for posting in wrong group, what is the best live newsgroup for
this topic, please.
From: John Navas on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 09:26:56 +0200, in
<of5i56dm00h6envn1spu55e665s47olh1t(a)4ax.com>, Anti-Spam <Anti(a)Spam.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 10:18:26 -0700, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>For complete isolation (both directions):
>>Have your neighbor buy two cheap routers and give them to you.
>>Put your own network on new router A.
>>Put the neighbor on new router B
>>Connect both new routers to the Belkin.
>><http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi_How_To#Isolate_Two_Networks>
>>
>>p.s. Since this is a wired issue, it really doesn't belong here.
>
>Excellent will go this route, thanks.
>
>Sorry for posting in wrong group, what is the best live newsgroup for
>this topic, please.

comp.dcom.lans.ethernet
Unfortunately, it's near death, like much of the rest of Usenet.