From: Cerebral Believer on

"VK" <schools_ring(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Cerebral Believer wrote:
>> function SymError()
>> {
>> return true;
>> }
>>
>> window.onerror = SymError;
>>
>> var SymRealWinOpen = window.open;
>>
>> function SymWinOpen(url, name, attributes)
>> {
>> return (new Object());
>> }
>>
>> window.open = SymWinOpen;
> <snip>
>> As you can see, the begginings and endings of the server side code are
>> different to the code that was uploaded to the server from the local
>> drive.
>> Anyone any ideas on why this should be the case, and what the extra code
>> should do?
>
> The code changes not during the upload, but when accessing the page in
> your browser. Disable your McAffee virus protection and it will come
> back to normal. McAffee - and some other antivirus programs - shadows
> several native window methods by loopholes (bogus functions), so in
> case if you have to take extra boring steps to restore the original
> references. (In my strong opinion some ears should be cut off for that
> idea - and what a hell say window error collector has to do with a
> virus protection?)
>
>> OK, I can view my pages fine in Firefox and Netscape, also IE 6.0 (and
>> have
>> had reports to the same effect), but a user using IE 7.1 has reported
>> that
>> when he views my pages he gets a security warning, saying "Do you want to
>> allow this website to access your clipboard".
>
> That is nothing to do with with the "antivirus" vandalism, you must be
> using some methods in your original code which are restricted for usage
> in IE7.

Thanks for the infor VK, that has set my mind at rest.

Regards,
C.B.

From: Cerebral Believer on

"Richard Cornford" <Richard(a)litotes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Cerebral Believer wrote:
>> I am having some issues using a program that protects my
>> web pages (to a degree) using JavaScript (to print
>> screen/disable clipboard, caching text selection etc).
> <snip>
>
> Any attempt to cripple the facilities of the user's browser represent an
> abuse, and all facilities that are employed abusively are likely to be
> withdrawn over time. When these facilities are withdrawn or restricted
> much that could have been usefully employed will be lost with them (and
> lost to everyone). It is best to learn from history and not write or use
> abusive scripts.
>
>> ... - the pages on the rest of the site employ a similar
>> code, and also trigger security alerts for some reason in
>> IE7.1, but they were not designed to access clipboards, but
>> to stop people from doing screen captures while on my
>> site.
> <snip>
>
> Browsers provide no mechanism that will prevent the use of the clipboard
> by the user. the only technique ever proposed that could make the user's
> attempts to use their clipboard non-viable is for the script to be
> continuously writing to the clipboard (thus overwriting anything that had
> been added by the user. Obviously constantly writing to the clipboard is
> accessing the clipboard and will trigger IE security alerts if their
> security settings for the significant zone have clipboard access set to
> "prompt". Clearly the default setting for scripted access to the
> clipboard have been changed between IE 6 and 7, possibly prompted by
> exactly this sort of script as its side effect is to destroy data that
> belongs to the user without consent or warning.

OK - I tested a few things out, I typed some meaning less data in notepad,
and then copied it to the clipboard, opened several browesrs, I couldn't
paste the text again until I had closed IE, but when tested with Firefox and
Navigator, I could copy and pase as normal.

Thanks for your explaniation it was a very helpful insight.

Regards.
CB

From: Cerebral Believer on

"Hywel Jenkins" <hywel.jenkins(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <vbPVg.5985$gO3.4213(a)newsfe7-win.ntli.net>,
> nospamthanks(a)hadenoughalready.com says...
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I am having some issues using a program that protects my web pages (to a
>> degree) using JavaScript (to print screen/disable clipboard, caching text
>> selection etc). Below is the code for the page after it has been
>> encrypted
>> on the local machine:
>
> Oh dear. You've wasted your time.

Very helpful thanks!

Regards,
C.B.

From: Cerebral Believer on

"kudzai" <iwd.kudzai(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I visited this page
> http://www.futurebydesign-music.com/htmlprot/test.html, and sure enough
> I couldn't highlight the text.
>
> Then I disabled Javascript without reloading the page. Now I could
> highlight and copy the text. I was using Firefox 1.5.0.7.

Wow,

Would you like an extra star on your birthday cake?

Regards,
C.B.

From: kudzai on

Cerebral Believer wrote:
> "kudzai" <iwd.kudzai(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I visited this page
> > http://www.futurebydesign-music.com/htmlprot/test.html, and sure enough
> > I couldn't highlight the text.
> >
> > Then I disabled Javascript without reloading the page. Now I could
> > highlight and copy the text. I was using Firefox 1.5.0.7.
>
> Wow,
>
> Would you like an extra star on your birthday cake?
>
> Regards,
> C.B.

Just trying to point out that this protection of yours appears faulty.
But, hey, disregard my comment if its that offensive.

kudzai.