From: AP on
Is it advisable to build a business website (with users entering and
retrieving private info and monetary Paypal-type transactions and the
like) using JavaScript (in view of the fact that the code is totally
visible to users) ? Are there any examples of business websites which
are purely HTML/Javascript of do people normally use PHP or ASP.NET
instead (as the code is hidden) ? Thanks, AP.
From: David Mark on
On Dec 31 2009, 8:22 pm, AP <tian...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it advisable to build a business website (with users entering and
> retrieving private info and monetary Paypal-type transactions and the
> like) using JavaScript (in view of the fact that the code is totally
> visible to users) ?

Depends on what you mean. What do you plan to do with JS?

> Are there any examples of business websites which
> are purely HTML/Javascript of do people normally use PHP or ASP.NET
> instead (as the code is hidden) ?

You definitely shouldn't process payments on the front-end. ;)
From: AP on
On Jan 1, 8:24 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 31 2009, 8:22 pm, AP <tian...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it advisable to build a business website (with users entering and
> > retrieving private info and monetary Paypal-type transactions and the
> > like) using JavaScript (in view of the fact that the code is totally
> > visible to users) ?
>
> Depends on what you mean.  What do you plan to do with JS?

Although I am not intending to do the same thing, InstantChess.com has
many web aspects I'm interested in - many users/subscribers/payments/
players/login and storage of user data ...

But I think it uses more than just HTML/JavaScript - I can see Flash
in it as well (although I think it is there for animation purposes).

From: David Mark on
On Jan 1, 2:49 am, AP <tian...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 1, 8:24 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 31 2009, 8:22 pm, AP <tian...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Is it advisable to build a business website (with users entering and
> > > retrieving private info and monetary Paypal-type transactions and the
> > > like) using JavaScript (in view of the fact that the code is totally
> > > visible to users) ?
>
> > Depends on what you mean.  What do you plan to do with JS?
>
> Although I am not intending to do the same thing, InstantChess.com has
> many web aspects I'm interested in - many users/subscribers/payments/
> players/login and storage of user data ...
>
> But I think it uses more than just HTML/JavaScript - I can see Flash
> in it as well (although I think it is there for animation purposes).

I'm sure it uses back-end scripting as well. And you can certainly do
animation without Flash. ;)
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
AP wrote:

> Is it advisable to build a business website (with users entering and
> retrieving private info and monetary Paypal-type transactions and the
> like) using JavaScript (in view of the fact that the code is totally
> visible to users) ?

The source code is only "totally visible to users" if the programming
language is used client-side. Anyhow, you do want to validate financial
transactions server-side, regardless of the programming language.

> Are there any examples of business websites which
> are purely HTML/Javascript of do people normally use PHP or ASP.NET
> instead (as the code is hidden) ?

Yes.

> Thanks, AP.

With as little clue as this, you should not be building any business
website. <http://jibbering.com/faq/#posting>

You are welcome.

PointedEars
--