From: Tramp on
Just BASIC is a programming language for the Windows operating system.
It is completely free and it is suitable for creating all kinds of
applications for business, industry, education and entertainment. Just
BASIC borrows many features from our popular commercial product Liberty
BASIC. We have worked hard to make Just BASIC as simple as possible and
at the same time give you a useful and powerful Windows programming tool
Because Just BASIC is based on the classic BASIC programming language it
is easy to learn, and it has been extended with structured programming
facilities and with easy to use GUI commands. Create your own Windows
programs without needing to learn the underlying details of the Windows
operating system!
http://www.justbasic.com/
From: Jeff Needle on
"Tramp" <Jg3q2cB(a)Jg3q2cB.com> wrote in message
> Just BASIC is a programming language for the Windows operating system.
> It is completely free and it is suitable for creating all kinds of
> applications for business, industry, education and entertainment. Just
> BASIC borrows many features from our popular commercial product Liberty
> BASIC. We have worked hard to make Just BASIC as simple as possible and
> at the same time give you a useful and powerful Windows programming tool
> Because Just BASIC is based on the classic BASIC programming language it
> is easy to learn, and it has been extended with structured programming
> facilities and with easy to use GUI commands. Create your own Windows
> programs without needing to learn the underlying details of the Windows
> operating system!
> http://www.justbasic.com/

Yes, it's free, but it's a scaled-down version of Liberty Basic, with a
strong incentive on the website to purchase the full product. Not
technically freeware? I don't know.

Jeffrey Needle
jeff.needle(a)gmail.com

From: Roger Johansson on

Jeff Needle wrote:

> Yes, it's free, but it's a scaled-down version of Liberty Basic, with a
> strong incentive on the website to purchase the full product. Not
> technically freeware? I don't know.

For people who want a freeware Basic I can recommend RapidQ Basic.
It has a big and active usergroup in many countries. An
english-speaking group is here:

"Activity within 7 days: 11 New Members - 22 New Messages - 3 New
Files"

It is very active and the group has a lot of files and hundreds, if not
thousands of example programs in RapidQ Basic.

If you can download a big file, 18 MB, you can get all files you need
and hundreds of free example programs here:

http://www.airsys.org/news.php

Look in the right side column, last link, RapidQ 2:
http://www.airsys.org/downloads.php?cat_id=2&download_id=3

That is the most complete collection of RapidQ development tools and
example programs available as a single file. That is a good start to
begin with :-)

A copy of the jfe editor is included and no doubt syntax highlighting
is arranged for that editor in its ini file.

If you search for RapidQ on the web you will see conflicting
statements, like "RapidQ is dead, has not been updated since.., use
Realbasic (payware) instead."

And lots of links to very active sites with new library files, updated
help files, active user groups, etc..

The truth behind this situation is that the man who bought the later
versions of rapidq, called realbasic, is irritated over the continuing
success of the freeware version, which is also freely distributable,
and has tried to shut down some sites, with limited success.
He could only shut down the sites originally put up by the author of
rapidq, who now works for him.

But RapidQ Basic attracts more and more people, and the language is
continously updated through the use of external library files, in spite
of the fact that the compiler itself cannot be updated, because it is
not open source.
There are many different development tools, visual elements editors,
menu editors and program editors for rapidq, and language files, syntax
highlighter files, for many text editors.

I had tried for some time to learn visual basic, but could not
understand the language.
Then I found RapidQ and it was a lot easier to understand, easy to read
and use.

It has visual elements like visual basic but is more logical and clean
in its syntax.

The most important factor for a beginner when choosing a program
language is the availability of free example programs which you can
compile and use freely, and rewrite and change to your own liking. That
is the easiest way to learn to write programs.
Find a similar program to the program you want to create, check out how
it is built up, change things until you are happy with the result.

More links to rapidq sites:
http://g.yi.org/?f=7306
http://g.yi.org/?f=6894
http://www.wildgardenseed.com/RQDP/links.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RapidQ

http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?search=rapidq&la=xx

The Context editor has RapidQ highlighting:
http://www.context.cx/

--
Roger J.

Pages: 1