From: PJK on
Situation: I keep auto updates off because I prefer to convoy and apply
updates on my schedule. Received SP3 via Windows Update. Initial attempt to
install SP3 Up failed due to an access error which in turn appears to be
triggered a security program. Allowed update to uninstall itself; however,
installer warned that uninstall could not be completed and system was
incomplete. Using System Restore, restored my own restore point taken prior
receiving any updates via Windows Update. Rebooted (cold start) twice.
Disabled my security services but left DEP protection on. The Validation
Tool and Service Pack 3 are listed as failed in my update history.
Validation Tool no longer installs.

Here are my questions:

1) How do I clear my failed install entries in Windows Update for the two
subject items and recover capacity to install, if I remain interested in the
update?

2) Is Windows DEP on a problem for either or both updates?

--
Paul Keller
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
“Service Pack installation did not complete”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11273&gprid=522131

• CA:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-ca&prid=11273&gprid=522131

• UK:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-gb&prid=11273&gprid=522131

• AU:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-au&prid=11273&gprid=522131

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

From: PJK on
Thanks for the reply. Access is denied is the error message (please, read on).

I tried the on-line support at the sp3 site you posted from a different
post. The scriptreaders had me remove the firewall and use selective start
to restrain the start-up of all non Microsoft services. They also had me
download the SP3 install package from an alternative address and install.
Guess what? ACCESS IS DENIED. The same error message as before which occurs
about mid way during the installation of the files (clean pass on preceding
inspection, backup, and restore functions of the install wizard). So what
within the XP SP2 universe is preventing the installation of SP3?

By the way, it took me hours clean up the wreckage from the uninstall
process -- restoring as I did before to a restore proint prior to using
Windows update and flushing lots of junk from the registry. I'm wiping out
all traces of the SP3 install attempt and restoring my system to a prior
stable state. Clean slate for the third attempt. The scriptreaders promised
they would contact me by email (none received at this writing).

Access is denied -- that's the message during the SP3 install. I have a
clean XP SP2 - uptodate through February 2008. No problems. No issues. I
don't want to go back to the script readers because their scripts are not
addressing this problem. The isolation to essential windows services via
selective start and deselecting non windows services via msconfig was helpful
but clearly points to a Microsoft issue. I'm sure the technical staff at
Microsoft testing this update extensively. So what the problem with access?

By way, i using a Vista compatible portable HP. If I could run Vista, I
should be able to run XP SP3. The only reason I did not upgrade to Vista is
legacy stuff I use to support my business.

Any real help is appreciated.

Peace,

Paul Keller

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Did you consult http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377 ??

From: PJK on
Thanks for the reply and the reference to the KB.

Because methods 1 and 2 failed, method 3 appears to be the next approach.
That method will require preparation to assure full recover if anything goes
badly. I'll have to schedule time next week to attempt this approach after
mopping up the failed attempts.

Regarding the mopping up, I restored the system to the restore point taken
prior to the Windows Update session because of this error message during the
rollback of each failed SP3 installation: "Windows X Service Pack3
installation failed, leaving Windows XP partially updated. Service Pack3
installation did not complete".

However, unlike the prior restores after the SP3 install failure, the latest
restored system is incurring errors. The event log is now recording the
following persistent errors:

The Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service depends on the Universal
Plug and Play Device Host service which has failed to start because of the
following error: %%0

The SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service terminated with a server-specific error
3417 (0xD59)

This computer is configured as a member of workgroup, not as a member of a
domain. The Netlogon service does not need to run in this configuration.

What advice does Microsoft offer that would enable me to eliminate these
errors and return my system to the state before the attempted SP3 installs?
I would prefer to attempt method 3 from the error free state I had before.

--
Paul Keller