From: TechMate on
I had similar issue with W2K3 machine and I noticed there was COMPRESS
ATTRIBUTE set on files listed by KB article (not sure why the OS
automatically does that, but that is a different issue). After changing the
COMPRESS attribute (UNCHECKED), this Security update completed successfully
without being re-prompted over and over again.

There are quite a few suggestions in this post and I am pretty sure
different posts might have helped different scenarios - this is my actual
finding / fix for this KB971023

Hope this helps someone out there...