From: Vulture on
The recent 6 Feb 2010 mega security update included KB977165. Installation
of KB977165 has been linked to subsequent XP failures including blue screens
& various login failures .

THESE SYMPTOMS ALSO OCCUR ON VISTA ULTIMATE SP2 !!!

I have a 32-bit Vista Ultimate system networked with a Windows Home Server
PP2, both kept up to date daily via Windows Update. The Vista desktop
normally sleeps to facilitate these updates & auto backups to the WHS.

After installing the 6 Feb 2010 mega security update on the desktop & WHS,
the subsequent reboots went smoothly.

Attempts to download photos via USB 2 failed, with the message "No driver"
and auto logout from that user name, requiring re-login. This occurred on 2
normal users & admin.

However, subsequent reboots to clear the problem yielded either a BLUE
SCREEN before logon screen or during entry of password, or cursor froze
prohibiting entry of password and reboot again necessary

Eventually entered SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING and although could access WHS
console with the intention of a complete system disk restore, SAFE MODE
prohibited me installing latest system restore disk from M/s site, so
therefore abandoned WHS restore. (... must remember to download new WHS
Restore CD, mine is only PP1 ...!)

Still in SAFE MODE, I accessed installed updates via control panel>programs
& features, AND UNINSTALLED KB977165 leaving all other 6 Feb 2010 security
updates installed & re-booted.

RESULT: no BLUE SCREEN, normal login, and system seems back to normal.

CONCLUSION: KB977165 is a disaster, and certainly applies to Vista Ultimate
as well as XP.

NB: Each BLUE SCREEN produced a system dump which I presume will have been
uploaded to M/s for their analysis.

COMMENT: On rechecking System Update, I was somewhat alarmed to see that I
now have 1 important download: correct, - it's KB977165, which I have NOT
re-installed! (A blog I read in or via PC Pro stated KB977165 patch since
withdrawn on Windows Update, though still optionally available for servers,
or was that just for XP systems?)

RECOMMENDATION: Immediate Windows Update patch to remove any installed
KB977165 patch from ALL systems.

Vultch
From: G. R. Woodring on
I have the KB977165 update installed and haven't had any problems. If your
system is infected by a rootkit similar to what has been found on the XP
systems, you should deal with that.

I _want_ the protection provided by the update. If you want to remove it, hide
it, block it or whatever, I can understand that as you have been one of those
afflicted with a BSOD, but for most users it was just another welcome security
update.

--
G. R. Woodring

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
Given your description of the sequence of events, I would guess it most likely
that the cause of the problem was not KB977165 and the timing was coincidental.
Recommend you reinstall it and see if the problem recurs.

Harry.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
You, too, can be infected by W32/Alureon!

The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC): Update - Restart Issues After
Installing MS10-015 and the Alureon Rootkit
"Our investigation has concluded that the reboot occurs because the system
is infected with malware, specifically the Alureon rootkit."
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2010/02/17/update-restart-issues-after-installing-ms10-015-and-the-alureon-rootkit.aspx

Conclusion: The patch is fine; your computer's a disaster.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: Michael on
Now, now, Robear. We all know the complainers are perfect and the computers
are the problem.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.