Prev: Crypt32 Event ID 8
Next: hi
From: Hoyt on
I cannot get the Cumulative security update for IE8 x64 to install. In fact,
I've been having lots of trouble installing updates lately, having to try
several times to get one or two to install properly.

Is this a symptom of something? I'm running WinXP x64 "Version 2003" SP2. I
recently updated to IE8 to try and resolve this issue, but it didn't work.

Any advice appreciated. error code was 0x80246002
--
Thanks,
Hoyt
From: Ǝиçεl on
Hello Hoyt,

0x80246002 WU_E_DM_INCORRECTFILEHASH A download manager operation could not
be completed because the file digest was not recognized.

This Microsoft KB article gives more insight:

You receive a "0x80246002" error code when you use the Windows Update or
Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958056>

Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕
-=-

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Upgrading in hopes of fixing an existing problem is seldom a wise idea.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

(and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge
for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
update's KB number (e.g., KB978207).

LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE
(e.g., KB978207), call the above number and ask to be transferred to the
Consumer IE7 queue (which is 47830).

Consumer Security Support home page & Microsoft Update Solution Center also
offer support options
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3

your usual support contacts.

Or you can...

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: Hoyt on
I appreciate the feedback. Upgrading IE from 7 to 8 was just a shot in the
dark, I'd tried several other options first. FYI I have two computers on my
desk (XP-x64) and both are showing the same symptoms. Actually, my post is
misleading, because I can't get the updates to download. I've manually
downloaded several security updates and they do install. To answer your
questions:

Antivirus is AVG free version 9.0.791. Database version 271.1.1/2755 last
updated yesterday. I checked the logs and found no problems. Currently have
all functions active i.e. Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, Linkscanner, Email
scanner, Resident Sheild, Update Manager.

I also have Ad-Aware Free (Anniv. Edition) and notice that Ad-watch live is
running. Could be a conflict there.

OK, I have Windows firewall on also. Could be a conflict there also. I can't
believe I missed those last two. I will turn off Everything in AVG except the
Antivirus and Antispyware. Then disable AdAware. I'll make sure microsoft.com
is on my whitelist, and try again. If still not working, I'll try Microsoft
support.
--
Thanks,
Hoyt

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Repost:
>> bought
>> it)?

AVG & Ad-Aware's Ad-Watch should have been disabled prior to installing IE8.

> Antivirus is AVG free version 9.0.791. Database version 271.1.1/2755 last
> updated yesterday. I checked the logs and found no problems. Currently
> have
> all functions active i.e. Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, Linkscanner, Email
> scanner, Resident Sheild, Update Manager.

Uninstall AVG & reboot, then do a fresh install of AVG: This time select the
CUSTOM install option and do NOT install (i.e., uncheck) Linkscanner,
Search-Shield, Active Surf-Shield, Security toolbar (none of which are
compatible with IE8 IMHO), or any of the email scanning components.

• Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email

Better yet, uninstall AVG and install MSE:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Pages: 1