From: Shawn D. Shawn on
I recently tried to install update KB978542 on Windows Server 2003 SP2
Standard Edition with ISA Server 2004 version 4.0.2167.909 installed. After
the update was installed and I rebooted the Microsoft Firewall service would
not start and I had no Internet connectivity. The service was listed as
"Starting" and in the System event log we got an event ID of 7022 and the
description was "The Microsoft Firewall service hung on starting. After I
uninstalled the update everything worked fine.

Has anyone else with ISA Server experienced this problem? Is there a
solution by Microsoft?
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Try this newsgroup instead: microsoft.public.windows.server.security.

See the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978542

For home users (only), no-charge support is available by calling
1-866-PCSAFETY (1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700)
in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB978542).

Or you can...

Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following page for assistance:

your usual support contacts.