From: SuperGumby [SBS MVP] on
SO, I have a Windows Server 2008 x86 machine that is dedicated to WSUS, no
AV, no Office, basically, minimum Windows Server to support WSUS.

KB980248 is failing to install. Original error code 80073712 but on a later
attempt I have 80246007.

This _was_ the only update waiting to install but suddenly I got the April
'Update readiness tool' offered and installed it, 980248 then installed
fine.

Only other thing I did was to restart in safe mode, rename windowsupdate.log
to .old, restart normally.

funny is all.

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-05-10 2:49 p.m., SuperGumby [SBS MVP] wrote:

> KB980248 is failing to install. Original error code 80073712 but on a later
> attempt I have 80246007.
>
> This _was_ the only update waiting to install but suddenly I got the April
> 'Update readiness tool' offered and installed it, 980248 then installed
> fine.

The purpose of the update readiness tool is to fix certain problems that can
prevent updates from installing ... so it sounds as if it worked!

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
From: MowGreen on
SuperGumby [SBS MVP] wrote:
> SO, I have a Windows Server 2008 x86 machine that is dedicated to WSUS, no
> AV, no Office, basically, minimum Windows Server to support WSUS.
>
> KB980248 is failing to install. Original error code 80073712 but on a later
> attempt I have 80246007.
>
> This_was_ the only update waiting to install but suddenly I got the April
> 'Update readiness tool' offered and installed it, 980248 then installed
> fine.
>
> Only other thing I did was to restart in safe mode, rename windowsupdate.log
> to .old, restart normally.
>
> funny is all.

The System Update Readiness Tool (CheckSUR) creates 2 logs when it runs
that can be located at:

%windir%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
%windir%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

Check one or the other to see what CheckSUR did that resolved the below
error -

0x80073712 ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT
The component store is in an inconsistent state.

This one is self explanatory and possibly refers to the download of
CheckSUR as it apparently was the next 'update' downloaded -

0x80246007 WU_E_DM_NOTDOWNLOADED
The update has not been downloaded.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY