From: Joerg on
Hi,

KDE 4.4.3 does an automatic migration of your kontacts to akonadi,
which can't be turned off easily. If the migration fails, you won't
be able to use kaddressbook and it will be difficult to disable
akonadi completly. If you experience problems during the akonadi
start, try the following options :

If you get MySQL related errors run this from a console

akonadictl stop
rm -rf .local/share/akonadi/db_data
mysql_install_db --datadir=$HOME/.local/share/akonadi/db_data
akonadictl start

This should fix the MySQL issues.

Make sure Nepomuk is running (you can turn off Strigi)
Make sure you have kdepim-runtime (cotains the resource agents for
akonadi) installed.

Here you can get infos for troubleshooting or how to turn off the
whole thing

http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_4.4/Troubleshooting
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#Akonadi_FAQ

Hopefully this helps to avoid some of the problems I had with
upgrading to kde 4.4.3.

Joerg
--
For email use g m x d o t n e t
From: Martin on
Joerg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> KDE 4.4.3 does an automatic migration of your kontacts to akonadi,
> which can't be turned off easily.

Hi,

the automatic migration can be stopped by creating a file
~/.kde/share/config/kres-migratorrc containing the lines

[Migration]
Enabled=false
Version-contact=1

The first thing I always do after a fresh install or after creating a user
is to disable akonadi, nepomuk and strigi, and to delete their databases.

I find I don't even need an address book in Kmail: just begin typing in an
address field, and the system shows you all matching email addresses from
its email database.

Martin