From: Tim Wescott on
HardySpicer wrote:
> On Apr 27, 4:40 am, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.now> wrote:
>> Cagdas Ozgenc wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> In Kalman filtering does the process noise have to be Gaussian or
>>> would any uncorrelated covariance stationary noise satisfy the
>>> requirements?
>>> When I follow the derivations of the filter I haven't encountered any
>>> requirements on Gaussian distribution, but in many sources Gaussian
>>> tag seems to go together.
>> The Kalman filter is only guaranteed to be optimal when:
>>
>> * The modeled system is linear.
>> * Any time-varying behavior of the system is known.
>> * The noise (process and measurement) is Gaussian.
>> * The noise's time-dependent behavior is known
>> (note that this means the noise doesn't have to be stationary --
>> just that it's time-dependent behavior is known).
>> * The model exactly matches reality.
>>
>> None of these requirements can be met in reality, but the math is at its
>> most tractable when you assume them. Often the Gaussian noise
>> assumption comes the closest to being true -- but not always.
>>
>> If your system matches all of the above assumptions _except_ the
>> Gaussian noise assumption, then the Kalman filter that you design will
>> have the lowest error variance of any possible _linear_ filter, but
>> there may be nonlinear filters with better (perhaps significantly
>> better) performance.
>
> Don't think so. You can design an H infinity linear Kalman filter
> which is only a slight modification and you don't even need to know
> what the covariance matrices are at all.
> H infinity will give you the minimum of the maximum error.

But strictly speaking the H-infinity filter isn't a Kalman filter. It's
certainly not what Rudi Kalman cooked up. It is a state-space state
estimator, and is one of the broader family of "Kalmanesque" filters,
however.

And the H-infinity filter won't minimize the error variance -- it
minimizes the min-max error, by definition.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Tim Wescott on
Peter K. wrote:
> On 26 Apr, 21:52, HardySpicer <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Don't think so. You can design an H infinity linear Kalman filter
>> which is only a slight modification and you don't even need to know
>> what the covariance matrices are at all.
>> H infinity will give you the minimum of the maximum error.
>
> As Tim says, the Kalman filter is the optimal linear filter for
> minimizing the average estimation error. Reformulations using H-
> infinity techniques do not give an optimal linear filter in this
> sense.
>
> As you say, though, H-nifty (sic) give the optimal in terms of
> minimizing the worst case estimation error... which may or may not
> give "better" results than the Kalman approach.
>
> Depending on the application, neither "optimal" approach may give
> exactly what the user is after... their idea of "optimal' may be
> different from what the mathematical formulations give.

Indeed, the first step in applying someone's "optimal" formulation is
deciding if their "optimal" comes within the bounds of your "good enough".

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Cagdas Ozgenc on
On Apr 27, 6:54 am, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.now> wrote:
> Peter K. wrote:
> > On 26 Apr, 21:52, HardySpicer <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Don't think so. You can design an H infinity linear Kalman filter
> >> which is only a slight modification and you don't even need to know
> >> what the covariance matrices are at all.
> >> H infinity will give you the minimum of the maximum error.
>
> > As Tim says, the Kalman filter is the optimal linear filter for
> > minimizing the average estimation error.  Reformulations using H-
> > infinity techniques do not give an optimal linear filter in this
> > sense.
>
> > As you say, though, H-nifty (sic) give the optimal in terms of
> > minimizing the worst case estimation error... which may or may not
> > give "better" results than the Kalman approach.
>
> > Depending on the application, neither "optimal" approach may give
> > exactly what the user is after... their idea of "optimal' may be
> > different from what the mathematical formulations give.
>
> Indeed, the first step in applying someone's "optimal" formulation is
> deciding if their "optimal" comes within the bounds of your "good enough"..
>
> --
> Tim Wescott
> Control system and signal processing consultingwww.wescottdesign.com- Hide quoted text -

Bottom line is without Gaussian distribution assumption only the
optimality condition doesn't hold. But it is still the best linear
estimator, but not the best overall estimator. Right?
From: Frnak McKenney on
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 19:54:35 -0700, Tim Wescott <tim(a)seemywebsite.now> wrote:

> Indeed, the first step in applying someone's "optimal" formulation is
> deciding if their "optimal" comes within the bounds of your "good enough".

Tim,

A phrase that deserves repeating in a variety of contexts. Mind if
I steal it?

Frank "TaglinesRUs" McKenney
--
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your
calculations. -- J. R. R. Tolkien
From: Rune Allnor on
On 27 apr, 04:54, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.now> wrote:

> Indeed, the first step in applying someone's "optimal" formulation is
> deciding if their "optimal" comes within the bounds of your "good enough".

Ehh... I would rate that as the *second* step. The first item on
my list would be find out in what sense an 'optimal' filter is
optimal:

- Error magnitude?
- Operational robustness?
- Computational efficency?