From: Paul on
I am trying to compile a leaner kernel than the huge kernel default. I
am using kernel 2.6.33.5 (using 2.6.33.4 causes kernel even if I don't
boot with the new kernel).

I am using the same .config settings that I have used in the past. From
the error message I would assume that the problem is with the reiserfs
file system, but that should work as configured (it has for years now).

I think the problem may be with the SATA drivers.

The error message is:

VFS: cannot open root device "802" or unknown-block(8,2)

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(8,2)

The system has an ASUS M2N-E mobo with nVidia nForce 570 Ultra chipset.
Any ideas out there?

Thanks
From: Handover Phist on
Paul :
> I am trying to compile a leaner kernel than the huge kernel default. I
> am using kernel 2.6.33.5 (using 2.6.33.4 causes kernel even if I don't
> boot with the new kernel).
>
> I am using the same .config settings that I have used in the past. From
> the error message I would assume that the problem is with the reiserfs
> file system, but that should work as configured (it has for years now).
>
> I think the problem may be with the SATA drivers.
>
> The error message is:
>
> VFS: cannot open root device "802" or unknown-block(8,2)
>
> Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(8,2)
>
> The system has an ASUS M2N-E mobo with nVidia nForce 570 Ultra chipset.
> Any ideas out there?
>
> Thanks

You may need to edit your fstab depemding on what storage hardware you
have. one ide and two sds meant that between 13.0 and 13.1 my root
device changed from /dev/sdb1 to /dev/sdc1.

--
JESUS HATES ME

www.websterscafe.com
From: Paul on
On 05/29/10 11:10 AM, Handover Phist wrote:
> Paul :
>> I am trying to compile a leaner kernel than the huge kernel default. I
>> am using kernel 2.6.33.5 (using 2.6.33.4 causes kernel even if I don't
>> boot with the new kernel).
>>
>> I am using the same .config settings that I have used in the past. From
>> the error message I would assume that the problem is with the reiserfs
>> file system, but that should work as configured (it has for years now).
>>
>> I think the problem may be with the SATA drivers.
>>
>> The error message is:
>>
>> VFS: cannot open root device "802" or unknown-block(8,2)
>>
>> Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>> unknown-block(8,2)
>>
>> The system has an ASUS M2N-E mobo with nVidia nForce 570 Ultra chipset.
>> Any ideas out there?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> You may need to edit your fstab depemding on what storage hardware you
> have. one ide and two sds meant that between 13.0 and 13.1 my root
> device changed from /dev/sdb1 to /dev/sdc1.

I have 13.1 installed already so a device name change has to be
inter-kernel version. I am not sure how to check for it, but I will try.

Thanks

PS: "JESUS HATES ME"? Do you know me?
From: Chris Sorenson on

>>You may need to edit your fstab depemding on what storage hardware you
>>have. one ide and two sds meant that between 13.0 and 13.1 my root
>>device changed from /dev/sdb1 to /dev/sdc1.
>>

> I have 13.1 installed already so a device name change has to be
> inter-kernel version. I am not sure how to check for it, but I will try.
>
> Thanks

Try adding the "ATA/ATAI/MFM/RLL support (DEPRECATED)" option in the
Device Drivers section...

> PS: "JESUS HATES ME"? Do you know me?

Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, think I'll go eat worms...
From: Grant on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 10:34:52 -0400, Paul <pminottawa(a)yahoo.ca> wrote:

>I am trying to compile a leaner kernel than the huge kernel default. I
>am using kernel 2.6.33.5 (using 2.6.33.4 causes kernel even if I don't
>boot with the new kernel).
>
>I am using the same .config settings that I have used in the past. From
>the error message I would assume that the problem is with the reiserfs
>file system, but that should work as configured (it has for years now).

Problem is not due to reiserfs filesystem.

>I think the problem may be with the SATA drivers.

Yes. The .config needs changes as kernel version jumps, so you can't
rely on a .config from too many versions behind latest kernel. Did you
run: 'make oldconfig; make menuconfig' after copying old .config to
kernel source tree?

>The error message is:
>
>VFS: cannot open root device "802" or unknown-block(8,2)
>
>Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>unknown-block(8,2)
>
>The system has an ASUS M2N-E mobo with nVidia nForce 570 Ultra chipset.
>Any ideas out there?

Yes, recompile your custom kernel to suit the chipset you have.

Check lspci and match what's there to the kernel SATA option, if you
can't find it, post the lspci listing and I'll look at menuconfig to
see what's likely.

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/