From: Theodore Ts'o on

Hi all,

It's time to start the planning process for the 2010 Kernel Summit!
This year, the kernel summit will be held in Cambridge, Massachusetts
on November 1-2, immediately preceding the Linux Plumbers Conference.

The kernel summit is organized by a program committee, but it could
just as easily said that it is organized by the whole Linux Kernel
development community. Which is to say, its goals are to make Linux
kernel development flow more smoothly, and what we talk about is
driven by the work that is going on in the development community at
large. So to that end, we need your help!

First off, please see the Kernel Summit 2010 web site, which can be
reached at http://ksummit2010.kernel.org. This announcement, an
explanation of the process[1] by which we decide which the program
committee decides who is issued invitations to attend the kernel
summit, and much more information, can be found at this web site.

[1] http://ksummit2010.kernel.org/process

Secondly, please join the ksummit-2010-discuss mailing list[2] and
submit suggestions for topics that you think should be discussed at
the kernel summit --- either specific technical issues which impact
the entire kernel (topics that are specific to a single subsystem are
probably better discussed at the various workshops that are held for a
particular subsystem, such as the Linux Storage and File System
workshop, or the Power Management Summit, etc.), or ideas for process
improvements to how we do our development. (Hint: if you suggest a
topic which the program committee agrees is an important and vital
area for discussion at the Kernel Summit, and you happen to be a good
person to lead or participate in that discussion, that's one of the
ways you can wangle an invite to the Kernel Summit. The other way, of
course, is to write a lot of good code and/or take on the
responsibilities of being a subsystem or architecture maintainer. :-)
In addition, for those of you who have attended the kernel summit in
the past, if you have suggestions for how we can make the kernel
summit run more smoothly, please drop a note to the
ksummit-2010-discuss list. We're always looking for ways we can
improve the kernel summit.

Third of all, please examine the list of names[3] which the program
committee will consider for receiving kernel summit invitations. As
detailed in the description of the invitation process, the list is
compiled mechanically using a script which pulls information from the
git source code repository for the kernel. It is used only as a
starting point; if you can think of people (including yourself) that
you think should be considered by the program committee, please let us
know, either by filling out the nominations form, or by sending e-mail
to the program committee at ksummit-2010-pc. NOTE: We plan to start
working on winnowing down the list starting in a week, so please send
us any nominations/suggestions by this Friday, July 30th.

[3] http://ksummit2010.kernel.org/nominated-list

In addition, if you are on the list, please check to make sure there aren't
any typos in your name and that the e-mail address is the one you would
prefer to use for kernel summit related e-mails. We sometimes have trouble
contacting people that we have chosen to receive an invitation, and you can
make our lives much easier by checking to make sure we have your correct
contact information.

Finally, one of the primary reasons why I started the kernel summit
ten years ago was because I've found that people work better after
they have had a chance to meet each other face to face. If you only
know someone via e-mail, it's lot easier to get into flame wars. But
after you've met someone, broken bread and drunk beer with them, it's
easier to work with them as a colleague and fellow developer. While
the Linux Kernel development community has grown significantly since
March, 2001, this principle still holds true. So even if you don't
end up getting an invitation to the kernel summit, your participation
and suggestions are incredibly helpful and are an important
contribution to the community. And either way, I hope we will see you
at some of the upcoming Linux developer conferences and workshops,
such as the LinuxCon event[4] next month in August, and the Linux
Plumbers Conference[5] in November (right after the Kernel Summit).

[4] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon
[5] http://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2010/

Thanks, and I look forward to working with you to make Kernel Summit,
and Linux Kernel development in general, even more successful this year
and in the future.

Theodore Ts'o
Chair, Kernel Summit Program Committee