From: Frederic Weisbecker on
On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 11:27:26PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> > > My series changes the default from 'default_llseek' to 'generic_file_llseek',
> >
> > That is not that easy. generic_file_llseek() is testing against 'offset <
> > inode->i_sb->s_maxbytes'. This is not necessarily true when you think about
> > directories with random offset cookies. I know that seeking on directories is
> > stupid but don't blame me.
>
> Oh, I see. Would it work if we extend generic_file_llseek to only check s_maxbytes
> if S_ISREG(inode->i_mode)))?
>
> > > Yes, that also sounds like a good idea. I believe that Jan actually posted
> > > a patch to do that at some point.
> >
> > Yes, it is in
> >
> > http://git.infradead.org/users/jblunck/linux-2.6.git bkl/default-lseek
> >
> > There are some other patches in that branch that are not upstream yet. Mind to
> > take them for your bkl-removal branch?
>
> Frederic is now collecting the new patches. Your default-lseek series looks
> good to me, except for the obvious one that says 'FIXME' in the subject.
>
> Maybe Frederic can add your series except for that one as another branch to
> get pulled into his kill-the-bkl master branch.

Ok, will have a look at this soon (I will also put a branch for the procfs
series).

Thanks.

From: Jan Blunck on
On Thu, Apr 08, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> > > My series changes the default from 'default_llseek' to 'generic_file_llseek',
> >
> > That is not that easy. generic_file_llseek() is testing against 'offset <
> > inode->i_sb->s_maxbytes'. This is not necessarily true when you think about
> > directories with random offset cookies. I know that seeking on directories is
> > stupid but don't blame me.
>
> Oh, I see. Would it work if we extend generic_file_llseek to only check s_maxbytes
> if S_ISREG(inode->i_mode)))?

Yes and maybe rename generic_file_llseek to generic_llseek.

Jan

From: Stefan Richter on
On 27 Mar, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Saturday 27 March 2010 00:47:33 Stefan Richter wrote:
>> firewire-core and raw1394 do not actually require the BKL, they only
>> miss to declare their files as not seekable. I will post patches which
>> change these accordingly.
>
> Your patches look good, but it would be helpful to also set .llseek = no_llseek
> in the file operations, because that is much easier to grep for than
> only the nonseekable_open. While it's technically a NOP on the presence of
> nonseekable_open, it will help that I don't accidentally apply my patch on
> top of yours.

I pushed modified versions of these patches out to linux1394-2.6.git now
(master and for-next branch, on top of unrelated firewire updates). They
contain the explicit .llseek = no_llseek now.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ieee1394/linux1394-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=3ac26b2ee30005930117fe6a180c139c5f300faf
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ieee1394/linux1394-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=7cfe21aae155c26193fde617dc61d37a79a63f86
--
Stefan Richter