From: Lew Pitcher on
On July 16, 2010 01:00, in alt.os.linux.slackware, syl(a)alcor.concordia.ca
wrote:

> Lew Pitcher wrote:
>
>> In this case, Knode hung while sending the message. I killed it,
>> restarted Knode, and resent the message properly.
>>
>> Apparently, Knode's first attempt was successful. It just didn't
>> return fast enough (10 seconds is enough wait time, don't you think?)
>> to tell me that it had sent the message.
>
> Ah, but perhaps you're pointing the finger at the wrong bit of software?
> Perhaps knode was still waiting for the news server to acknowledge
> having received the message?

My thoughts exactly. I doubt that knode is the culprit here; I've often had
problems with my ISP's outsourced nntp provider, and it wouldn't surprise
me that this is another one of them.

A "dumb user", however, would know little or nothing of NNTP server issues,
and would care even less. To /that user/, the face of NNTP is Knode, and
Knode didn't respond (to the user) fast enough. A minor quibble, to be
certain, and one that doesn't apply to me.

>> And, of course, my 2nd attempt put a second message out there.
>
> Does Knode have any option that would have it generate its own message
> IDs for messages you post? If it does, and you enable that, that should
> help avoid the double postings. A news server (at least those I knew
> whan I was a news admin ... I actually miss that task) expects every
> post to have a unique message-id, so that duplicates are automatically
> avoided.
>
>> Sometimes I wonder about all this ;-)
>
> Which part?

Mostly, my ISP's outsourced NNTP service.

--
Lew Pitcher

From: Grant on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:46:52 +0000 (UTC), Sylvain Robitaille <syl(a)alcor.concordia.ca> wrote:

>NNTP/NNRP are generally I/O bound, so it's not surprising that the
>service might seem slow at times. Netnews has long ago been cast aside
>by ISPs, as an expense, rather than a revenue-generating service. It
>used to be they enticed customers with that service. Now they
>grudgingly offer an outsourced version instead. The outsourcers are
>most certainly not getting rich with this service. All this is to say
>that this isn't the service that tends to get the most powerful I/O
>subsystems.

Wot, nothing about those kiddiez hogging the bandwidth via the binaries
groups?

My ISP's nntp is hopeless, totally unresponsive most of the day, I think
due to the binaries access. It's run by Telstra, our biggest telecomms
provider so I think they choose a bandwidth for nntp and let it stay
saturated. Access is nice and fast, at some times during the day.

So I use eternal-sept. since my interests are mostly text. Be nice to
access a schematics binary group, but I haven't figured how to tell my
windoze app how to do the priorities right with two servers, easier to
go without the one binary group.

I did try to run a local caching thingy under linux, sorry forget it's
name, but it was falling over frequently too.

Was it Leafnode?

Can you recommend an app that caches two outside servers to cover for
the non-responding one?

Thanks,
Grant.
From: Grant on
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 05:45:03 +0000 (UTC), Sylvain Robitaille <syl(a)alcor.concordia.ca> wrote:

>Grant wrote:
>
>> Was it Leafnode?
>
>Could have been, but it's your system. You tell us ...

I deleted the evidence ;)

>> Can you recommend an app that caches two outside servers to cover for
>> the non-responding one?
>
>I've never tried to use it with two outside servers, but you might want
>to have a look at slrnpull, which will be in the slrn package of your
>favourite Linux distribution. I used that when my ISP connection was
>via dialup (and I had it pull from the news server I was managing, so I
>wasn't particularly inclined to try other servers). Ever since
>broadband came along, that's simply become less useful to me.

Well, I suppose that's why I don't care so much about the binaries,
google usually turns up something.

Cheers,
Grant.