From: Greg Russell on
In news:uuc8n5d5i36djj0flv13lqnu1h2lhs4j1u(a)4ax.com,
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP] <.@.> typed:

> Try this: Go to the Local Area Connection Properties and add (Install)
> the protocol NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol.
> Reboot. Can you see it now? Let me know how it goes.

I don't think returning to the 1980's would really be that helpful, as the
problem may be as simple as an incorrect netmask.

From: Greg Russell on
In news:c9u8n5p21lhqp1beurtuus5sa0k10p8451(a)4ax.com,
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP] <.@.> typed:

>>> Try this: Go to the Local Area Connection Properties and add
>>> (Install) the protocol NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport
>>> Protocol. Reboot. Can you see it now? Let me know how it goes.
>>
>> I don't think returning to the 1980's would really be that helpful,
>> as the problem may be as simple as an incorrect netmask.
>
> Nice reply. I was guessing that the OP was using Workgroups to connect
> and in 99.9% of instances where Workgroup APPEARS to be set up correct
> but does NOT work, adding that protocol makes it work.

I saw no indication in the OP that "Workgroups" was a component, or that it
"APPEARS" to be anything, but of course they stated nothing about the
network topology. The inability to sense the other computer may be a very
simple thing to solve, but blindly assuming complexities is a tertiary or
quaternary step after the fundamentals of "route print" and "ipconfig /all",
regardless of the so-called "99.9%" that you pulled out of a hat.

The secondary steps are of course to ping the other computer, the router,
the DNS servers and then perform an nslookup on e.g. google.com

Installing additional, obsolete 1980's software components complicates
things before the networking setup fundamentals and functionality are
understood.

From: Greg Russell on
In news:ssjdn5p1r7n11sa18h2439s2sphqpnc2i1(a)4ax.com,
Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP) <.@.> typed:

>> I saw no indication in the OP that "Workgroups" was a component, or
>> that it "APPEARS" to be anything, but of course they stated nothing
>> about the network topology. The inability to sense the other
>> computer may be a very simple thing to solve, but blindly assuming
>> complexities is a tertiary or quaternary step after the fundamentals
>> of "route print" and "ipconfig /all", regardless of the so-called
>> "99.9%" that you pulled out of a hat.
>>
>> The secondary steps are of course to ping the other computer, the
>> router, the DNS servers and then perform an nslookup on e.g.
>> google.com
>>
>> Installing additional, obsolete 1980's software components
>> complicates things before the networking setup fundamentals and
>> functionality are understood.
>
> The OP references My Network Places. This, to me, inferred that he
> was using workgroups.

I belive that.

> If he/she was not, they would have likely said as much.

I sincerely doubt that, as the vast majority of M$ users don't know anything
other than what Billy will allow them to pay for.

I've been using networked computers since 1978 before M$ was even thought
about, and the fundamentral TCP/IP diagnostics I mentioned above work
*absolutely* in any modern computer environement since ... you can name the
date. Notice the word "modern" ... my personal opinion is that that means
before you were even born.

From: Greg Russell on
In news:d2agn5p4f1l80t6hf57udem59suln10pl3(a)4ax.com,
Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP) <.@.> typed:

> There's no need to go any further since you've done nothing to help the OP

If the OP can't follow the simple, most fundamental diagnostics I stated and
report the results for further consideration, then there's nothing that
anybody can do for them.