From: HardySpicer on
Does anybody know for ordinary LMS what the official computation is ie
number multiplies,adds etc for n weights. Or is there a big O(.)
quoted somewhere a bit like FFTs.

Hardy
From: Muzaffer Kal on
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 20:19:18 -0700 (PDT), HardySpicer
<gyansorova(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Does anybody know for ordinary LMS what the official computation is ie
>number multiplies,adds etc for n weights. Or is there a big O(.)
>quoted somewhere a bit like FFTs.

Ordinary LMS being y = Sx*h, err = d - y and h = h + u*err*x so one
needs 3N multiplies and 2N adds per output sample.
--
Muzaffer Kal

DSPIA INC.
ASIC/FPGA Design Services

http://www.dspia.com
From: HardySpicer on
On Jul 6, 4:18 pm, Muzaffer Kal <k...(a)dspia.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 20:19:18 -0700 (PDT), HardySpicer
>
> <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >Does anybody know for ordinary LMS what the official computation is ie
> >number multiplies,adds etc for n weights. Or is there a big O(.)
> >quoted somewhere a bit like FFTs.
>
> Ordinary LMS being y = Sx*h, err = d - y  and h = h + u*err*x so one
> needs 3N multiplies and 2N adds per output sample.
> --
> Muzaffer Kal
>
> DSPIA INC.
> ASIC/FPGA Design Services
>
> http://www.dspia.com

I agree with the adds/subtracts. However err and u(mu) are scalar so
require only 1 multiply, then they get multiplied by vector x for
another N so we have (N+1) + N (from x*h) = 2N+1..?

Hardy
From: Muzaffer Kal on
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 01:49:40 -0700 (PDT), HardySpicer
<gyansorova(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 6, 4:18�pm, Muzaffer Kal <k...(a)dspia.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 20:19:18 -0700 (PDT), HardySpicer
>>
>> <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Does anybody know for ordinary LMS what the official computation is ie
>> >number multiplies,adds etc for n weights. Or is there a big O(.)
>> >quoted somewhere a bit like FFTs.
>>
>> Ordinary LMS being y = Sx*h, err = d - y �and h = h + u*err*x so one
>> needs 3N multiplies and 2N adds per output sample.
>> --
>> Muzaffer Kal
>>
>> DSPIA INC.
>> ASIC/FPGA Design Services
>>
>> http://www.dspia.com
>
>I agree with the adds/subtracts. However err and u(mu) are scalar so
>require only 1 multiply, then they get multiplied by vector x for
>another N so we have (N+1) + N (from x*h) = 2N+1..?

Actually it's even better than that in practice. LMS is quite robust
so one usually implements mu as a (programmable?) shift and error as a
single power of two operation so the whole mu*err looks like a large
barrel shifter.
--
Muzaffer Kal

DSPIA INC.