From: Charles Account on

Hi,
We are trying to use the smtp_fallback_relay feature for LMTP & SMTPas specified in LMtP & SMTP manual pages.
We have designed our service to have a tiered hardware. The primarytries to deliver, if there is a problem, the message is relayed to asecondary hardware with very large disks, etc for queuing.
It is works for the SMTP outgoing mail queue, however,it doesn't seem to work for LMTP. Is this a known bug or by design?
Charles

From: Wietse Venema on
Charles Account:
> Hi,
> We are trying to use the smtp_fallback_relay feature for LMTP q
> SMTPas specified in LMtP & SMTP manual pages.

smtp_fallback_relay is an SMTP-only feature.

Postfix LMTP client does not have a "backup" server mechanism.

Wietse

From: Charles Account on

> Subject: Re: LMTP using smtp_fallback_relay
> To: cwo1962(a)hotmail.com
> Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 16:37:39 -0400
> CC: postfix-users(a)postfix.org
> From: wietse(a)porcupine.org
>
> Charles Account:
>> Hi,
>> We are trying to use the smtp_fallback_relay feature for LMTP q
>> SMTPas specified in LMtP & SMTP manual pages.
>
> smtp_fallback_relay is an SMTP-only feature.
>
> Postfix LMTP client does not have a "backup" server mechanism.
>
> Wietse

Thanks for the quick response.Do you have a configuration suggestion on how we can relay mail to the secondary serversif we can't initially deliver them via LMTP?
Thanks Charles

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 09:40:38PM +0000, Charles Account wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response.Do you have a configuration suggestion
> on how we can relay mail to the secondary serversif we can't initially
> deliver them via LMTP?

Use a load-balancer, if you have hot-hot equivalent LMTP servers. Otherwise,
use appropriate cluster software on the LMTP servers to "fail-over" the
service IP address to a stand-by node.

--
Viktor.

From: Wietse Venema on
Charles Account:
> >> We are trying to use the smtp_fallback_relay feature for LMTP q
> >> SMTPas specified in LMtP & SMTP manual pages.
> >
> > smtp_fallback_relay is an SMTP-only feature.
> >
> > Postfix LMTP client does not have a "backup" server mechanism.
>
> Thanks for the quick response.Do you have a configuration suggestion
> on how we can relay mail to the secondary serversif we can't
> initially deliver them via LMTP?

Since Postfix does not have a "primary/backup" server mechanism,
you will have to build that outside of Postfix. Victors suggestion
of using a load balancer (proxy or router) is as good as any.

If what you really want is MULTIPLE servers (instead of MASTER/SLAVE)
then you could use multiple IP addresses.

Wietse