From: jwolf on
Hello,
I work with laser show systems and visible wavelength 5.6mm diodes such
as 650nm & 405nm.
I need a driver for powering these diodes up to 1amp, and has analog
modulation (5v input) for connecting to ILDA controllers.
My last source for these has been out of stock forever, so I would like to
build my own if possible to keep cost low and not worry about availability.

Here is what I used to get:
http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/FlexMod01.php

Can someone help with a schematic and parts list?
I sincerely appreciate any help :)

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.Electronics-Related.com
From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:28:10 -0500) it happened "jwolf"
<viroy99(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.com> wrote in
<V-idnQvtifI39c3R4p2dnAA(a)giganews.com>:

>Hello,
> I work with laser show systems and visible wavelength 5.6mm diodes such
>as 650nm & 405nm.
>I need a driver for powering these diodes up to 1amp, and has analog
>modulation (5v input) for connecting to ILDA controllers.
>My last source for these has been out of stock forever, so I would like to
>build my own if possible to keep cost low and not worry about availability.
>
>Here is what I used to get:
>http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/FlexMod01.php
>
>Can someone help with a schematic and parts list?
>I sincerely appreciate any help :)

I dunno, maybe like this?

+12V ------------------------------------------------ +
| |
| | Laser
-- | |
in [ ]<---->| FET | |
---| gain |------| -----|
| | |\/ | |\/ NPN power
| |10k |--- |
| [ ]<- [ ] [ ] 1 Ohm
| | | | 1k |
0V---------------------------------
bias

The bias pot adjusts the base voltage of Q2 just above 1.4V for zero volt input.
The gain pot is just a voltage divider.
Have not tried it, use at your own risk.
From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:28:10 -0500) it happened "jwolf"
<viroy99(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.com> wrote in
<V-idnQvtifI39c3R4p2dnAA(a)giganews.com>:

I dunno, maybe like this?

It actually could work, here a spice simulation with real component values,
ftp://panteltje.com/pub/laser_supply.gif
I replaced the laser diode with some Schotky, and the pots with fixed resitors.
You still will need the pots.
The green curve is the output in the diode.
The blue curve the input voltage (100kKz).

+12V ------------------------------------------------ +
| |
| | Laser
-- | |
in [ ]<---->| FET | |
| | |\/ | |\/ NPN power

From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:28:10 -0500) it happened "jwolf"
<viroy99(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.com> wrote in
<V-idnQvtifI39c3R4p2dnAA(a)giganews.com>:

The simpler and better MOSFET output version:
ftp://panteltje.com/pub/laser_supply2.gif
R4 still needs to be a pot (bias).