From: David Murray on
My wife downloaded this lawnmowing game on her iPod touch and I was
playing it yesterday. It is kind of fun. Then I realized how simple
this game would be to port to any 8-bit platform. In fact, I wonder
if there is any such game already for the C64 or Vic-20. So I thought
I'd ask before embarking on programming one.
From: Bill Garber on

"David Murray" <adric22(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:f4d80541-cd2d-4199-8fa7-3824d6def125(a)g19g2000yqe.googlegroups.com...
> My wife downloaded this lawnmowing game on her iPod touch and I was
> playing it yesterday. It is kind of fun. Then I realized how simple
> this game would be to port to any 8-bit platform. In fact, I wonder
> if there is any such game already for the C64 or Vic-20. So I thought
> I'd ask before embarking on programming one.

How about this? Called 'Hover Bovver'.

http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/reviews/view.php%3Fid%3D486

Bill

From: David Murray on
> How about this? Called 'Hover Bovver'.
>
> http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/reviews/view...

Thanks for the link - Never heard of that one before, but after
reading the description I don't think it is much like the one I've
been playing. At first glance, this game (on the iPod) is sort of
like Pac-Man, that you have to mow all the grass while avoiding dogs,
porcupines, dog-poop, etc. Although these animals don't chase you, if
you run into them you loose. But after playing it a little I realized
the REAL objective of the game isn't to just mow all the grass, rather
to see how much grass you can mow consecutively without going over the
same places twice. So the real challenge is to see how efficiently
you can mow.

I found the game online.. Heck - they even have a flash version you
can play in the browser: http://www.donutgames.com/play/sunday_lawn

yeah.. I'm thinking about porting this to C64. Technically it would
be possible on the Vic-20 but last time I made a VIC-20 game I could
never get more than 2 people to actually give it a try.

From: Bill Garber on

"David Murray" <adric22(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9e6c123f-
3d1f-4463-8524-0bbb0a7483b9(a)u20g2000yqu.googlegroups.com...
>> How about this? Called 'Hover Bovver'.
>>
>> http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/reviews/view...
>
> Thanks for the link - Never heard of that one before, but after
> reading the description I don't think it is much like the one I've
> been playing. At first glance, this game (on the iPod) is sort of
> like Pac-Man, that you have to mow all the grass while avoiding dogs,
> porcupines, dog-poop, etc. Although these animals don't chase you, if
> you run into them you loose. But after playing it a little I realized
> the REAL objective of the game isn't to just mow all the grass, rather
> to see how much grass you can mow consecutively without going over the
> same places twice. So the real challenge is to see how efficiently
> you can mow.

Oh well. I tried. Not too hard, but, anyway.........

That game sounds more like work, LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> I found the game online.. Heck - they even have a flash version you
> can play in the browser: http://www.donutgames.com/play/sunday_lawn

Nice! I like that one. I wonder if it's available on other computers.

> yeah.. I'm thinking about porting this to C64. Technically it would
> be possible on the Vic-20 but last time I made a VIC-20 game I could
> never get more than 2 people to actually give it a try.

I would have tried your games, except that my VIC-20 is boxed up right
now. I'd like to take it out, but just to try one game, that would be
a total waste of time. I have limited space and I'm using it all in an
attempt to sort through all of my stuff and decide what to keep, and
what to sell, or give out, or throw away.

What was it called? I will make sure I have it, and try it out as soon
as I have time and space. How's that? It's the best I can do for now.

Bill

From: David Murray on
I'm just kind of wondering.. In their game, the screen scrolls to keep
up with the larger lawns to mow. I could certainly do that on any
Commodore computer, but it would greatly simplify the game to have it
just fill the whole screen and not scroll around. Heck, I could
probably fit the whole game in 4K or less if I did it that way. But
perhaps part of the "fun" of the game is not knowing what the whole
yard looks like in a single glance.