From: nospam on
This morning one of my users exceeded the size limit on their .pst file
in Outlook 2002 and Outlook could not delete any emails including those
in the out box. The result was that every minute Outlook sent the
undeleted out box email to my Linux server running sendmail and that in
turn sent the email to the relay server I use for forwarding. The
first I knew about was when after about 500 emails the relay server
started rejecting emails for exceeding the daily quota that the domain
is allowed to forward.

My question is, is there a way of configuring sendmail so that after
"X" number of emails from a given client in "Y" number of hours, it
refuses to accept anymore emails from that client or IP address?

This particular user normally sends no more than 20 emails a day so a
hard limit of 40 would be plenty while still preventing a repeat of
today's performance that ended up with no one being able to send an
email. I really do not care about the size of the outbound mail or any
inbound emails to the client. I only want to limit the email by count
outbound from the client, or said another way, limit the amount of email
by count that sendmail accepts from a client.

I do not need a step by step installation procedure (at least not yet)
but some keywords for a Google search that would point me in the right
direction would really be helpful if there is a way.

Thanks
From: Carl Byington on