From: Paul on
RAIDSpay wrote:
> Can anyone help?

In Non Plug and Play devices here, my AFD is OK and these
are the details.

AFD
Service Name AFD
Display Name AFD

Type: System

Driver Details: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\AFD.sys

File version 5.1.2600.5657 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)

So the first thing you might check, is whether the file is
present or not.

There are some details here, on SFC scannow, which gives
you some idea how files are stored in the system. Windows
File Protection keeps cached copies of files, for automatic
replacement. Malware activity on the machine, could play
with many aspects of that. The i386 folder (like on your
original WinXP CD), should have a copy of AFD.sys to put
back, even if it isn't the SP3 one.

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

I have the following file, and I think that is where SFC would
get files that were updated by SP3. I don't see an AFD.sys in
there (I looked inside it to check).

C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp3.cab

I can see that KB956803 changed the AFD.sys file. I think
that is where my 5.1.2600.5657 version came from. AFD
stands for "Ancillary Function driver" - no mistaking
what that does :-) Um... Not a clue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956803

Paul