From: mike3 on
Hi.

I saw this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergent_series#Lindel.C3.B6f_summation

But it seems dubious: try it with the divergent Mercator series for log
(3), it doesn't converge. What's really going on here? There seems to
be an error in the Wikipedia.

Also, I saw this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mittag-Leffler_star

How can one compute a Mittag-Leffler expansion for a general power
series?
From: Gottfried Helms on
Am 12.11.2009 19:33 schrieb mike3:
> Hi.
>
> I saw this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergent_series#Lindel.C3.B6f_summation
>
> But it seems dubious: try it with the divergent Mercator series for log
> (3), it doesn't converge. What's really going on here? There seems to
> be an error in the Wikipedia.

Did you look at

http://eom.springer.de/L/l058990.htm

Sorry, can't say more at moment.

Gottfried Helms

From: mike3 on
On Nov 12, 12:58 pm, Gottfried Helms <he...(a)uni-kassel.de> wrote:
> Am 12.11.2009 19:33 schrieb mike3:
>
> > Hi.
>
> > I saw this:
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergent_series#Lindel.C3.B6f_summation
>
> > But it seems dubious: try it with the divergent Mercator series for log
> > (3), it doesn't converge. What's really going on here? There seems to
> > be an error in the Wikipedia.
>
> Did you look at
>
>    http://eom.springer.de/L/l058990.htm
>
> Sorry, can't say more at moment.
>
> Gottfried Helms

I just looked at it, and the formula still seems to fail for the
simple
Mercator series. Yet it says that if we have a power series for a
principal
branch at the origin (as we do for the test case, log(1 + z)), then we
should
be able to Lindelof-sum it on the whole Mittag-Leffler star (in the
case of
log(1 + z) this coincides with having the branch cut at the negative
real
axis), but this doesn't seem to be right, the attempt to compute log
(3) (i.e.
set z = 2) fails. So either it applies only to a really limited and
peculiar
set of functions (that doesn't even include something as simple as
log!), or
I'm missing something here (which would be interesting, considering
this
describes essentially the same thing as WP, unless WP got it from here
and this
is wrong...).
From: mike3 on
On Nov 12, 6:46 pm, mike3 <mike4...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 12, 12:58 pm, Gottfried Helms <he...(a)uni-kassel.de> wrote:
>

> > Am 12.11.2009 19:33 schrieb mike3:
>
> > > Hi.
>
> > > I saw this:
>
> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergent_series#Lindel.C3.B6f_summation
>
> > > But it seems dubious: try it with the divergent Mercator series for log
> > > (3), it doesn't converge. What's really going on here? There seems to
> > > be an error in the Wikipedia.
>
> > Did you look at
>
> >    http://eom.springer.de/L/l058990.htm
>
> > Sorry, can't say more at moment.
>
> > Gottfried Helms
>
> I just looked at it, and the formula still seems to fail for the
> simple
> Mercator series. Yet it says that if we have a power series for a
> principal
> branch at the origin (as we do for the test case, log(1 + z)), then we
> should
> be able toLindelof-sum it on the whole Mittag-Leffler star (in the
> case of
> log(1 + z) this coincides with having the branch cut at the negative
> real
> axis), but this doesn't seem to be right, the attempt to compute log
> (3) (i.e.
> set z = 2) fails. So either it applies only to a really limited and
> peculiar
> set of functions (that doesn't even include something as simple as
> log!), or
> I'm missing something here (which would be interesting, considering
> this
> describes essentially the same thing as WP, unless WP got it from here
> and this
> is wrong...).

Does anyone else have any answers though as to why it doesn't seem to
work?