From: Gregory A. Beamer on
"(PeteCresswell)" <x(a)y.Invalid> wrote in

> Are line numbers in VB.NET coding totally passe'?
>
> I've used them for years in VBA coding. My error trapping
> writes the error and line number to a .txt file and it's been
> very helpful in speeding up the process of finding/fixing errors.
>
> Or is there some functional equivalent in the .NET scheme of
> things?

The line numbers are there in .NET, but you don't type them in. When you
get a stack trace, you will get a line number. Turn on line numbers in
Visual Studio and viola ... they correspond. So there is no reason to
have typed in line numbers any more.

As far as finding/fixing errors go in .NET, there are two suggestions;

1. Learn how to use the debug tools.
2. Learn enough about the framework to be able to decode what the stack
tells you about an error.

On point #2: Often times, people post a stack trace here asking what is
going on. If the poster had taken a bit of time reading the stack, the
classes would give away what many of hte errors were. Understanding the
flow of the stack would give away others. And being able to find the
erroring class in the help files would solve another heap of issues. It
is not a 100% thing, but it is well over the 80% mark.

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |
From: Gregory A. Beamer on

> Is it common practice to have a single error handling routine
> that is called by "Catch" - and which writes relevant info to a
> .txt file?

It depends on where the try ... catch is. if you bubble everything up to
the UI, then sending everything to a single logger may make sense, as
your primary purpose of this type of exception handler is to make sure
the user does not see ugly error messages.

If you are capturing exceptions lower down in the layers, you may call a
single logger, but it is unlikely you would have a single "On Error Goto
Label" type of catch mechanism (ala VB6 or VBA).

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

Twitter: @gbworld