From: Linus Torvalds on

It's been two weeks (and then some - but with last week being LinuxCon and
Plumbers conf I extended it by a few days), and as usual that means that
the merge window is all over and done with. 2.6.32-rc1 is out, so give it
a whirl.

What can I say? 67% drivers (the bulk of which is from 'staging', but
there's driver changes all over), 10% firmware, 10% arch updates
(dominated by arm, but MIPS, POWER, SH and x86 updates are there too,
along with the new 'SCore' architecture), 5% Documentation, and a random
smattering of other things (ie the normal filesystem, kernel, networking
etc updates).

For a change, I don't think we have a single new filesystem this time
around, but we do have updates to existing ones (ocfs2, btrfs, nfs, nilfs,
xfs, gfs2, ext4 - you name it).

Some of the more interesting changes (but perhaps that's just me) are some
of the VM updates (ZERO_PAGE is back!) and the writeback work by Jens and
others to spread out writeback by backing store.

Go wild, test it out, and let us know about any regressions you find,

Linus
From: Diego Calleja on
On Lunes 28 Septiembre 2009 01:44:58 Stephen Rothwell escribi�:

> Of course, you realise that you set EXTRAVERSION to -rc2 :-(

Not a big problem i guess, except that the kernel.org files are "-rc1"
From: Stephen Rothwell on
Hi Linus,

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr(a)canb.auug.org.au
From: Stephen Rothwell on
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 16:52:56 -0700 (PDT) Linus Torvalds <torvalds(a)linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> Ok, so it's an extra-special -rc1. It's the "short bus" kind of special
> -rc1 release. But quite frankly, I'll just let it be. The git tags etc
> look to be ok, it's just my editing of the Makefile itself that was too
> complicated for my little mind.

I was going to apply a patch to -next to set it to -rc1, but I won't
do that either. This way all bug reports are consistently confusing :-)

From: Eric Dumazet on
Linus Torvalds a �crit :

> Go wild, test it out, and let us know about any regressions you find,

Hi Linus

Something seems wrong with process time accounting.

Following program should consume 10*8 seconds of cpu on a 8 cpu machine, but
with 2.6.32-rc1 numbers are crazy.

$ gcc -O2 -o process process.c -lpthread
$ ./process
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
5532 pts/1 - 0:08 ./process
- - Sl+ 0:00 -
- - Rl+ 0:05 -
- - Rl+ 0:05 -
- - Rl+ 0:09 -
- - Rl+ 0:05 -
- - Rl+ 0:05 -
- - Rl+ 0:05 -
- - Rl+ 0:05 -
- - Rl+ 0:01 -
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
5532 pts/1 - 0:16 ./process
- - Sl+ 0:00 -
- - Rl+ 0:14 -
- - Rl+ 0:06 -
- - Rl+ 0:14 -
- - Rl+ 0:10 -
- - Rl+ 0:06 -
- - Rl+ 0:06 -
- - Rl+ 0:10 -
- - Rl+ 0:02 -
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
5532 pts/1 - 0:24 ./process
- - Sl+ 0:00 -
- - Rl+ 0:20 -
- - Rl+ 0:11 -
- - Rl+ 0:24 -
- - Rl+ 0:15 -
- - Rl+ 0:07 -
- - Rl+ 0:07 -
- - Rl+ 0:24 -
- - Rl+ 0:03 -
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
5532 pts/1 - 0:32 ./process
- - Sl+ 0:00 -
- - Rl+ 0:29 -
- - Rl+ 0:12 -
- - Rl+ 0:29 -
- - Rl+ 0:21 -
- - Rl+ 0:08 -
- - Rl+ 0:08 -
- - Rl+ 0:29 -
- - Rl+ 0:04 -
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
5532 pts/1 - 0:40 ./process
- - Sl+ 0:00 -
- - Rl+ 0:35 -
- - Rl+ 0:13 -
- - Rl+ 0:35 -
- - Rl+ 0:26 -
- - Rl+ 0:09 -
- - Rl+ 0:09 -
- - Rl+ 0:35 -
- - Rl+ 0:05 -
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
5532 pts/1 - 0:48 ./process
- - Sl+ 0:00 -
- - Rl+ 0:40 -
- - Rl+ 0:14 -
- - Rl+ 0:40 -
- - Rl+ 0:31 -
- - Rl+ 0:10 -
- - Rl+ 0:10 -
- - Rl+ 0:40 -
- - Rl+ 0:06 -
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
5532 pts/1 - 0:56 ./process
- - Sl+ 0:00 -
- - Rl+ 0:45 -
- - Rl+ 0:15 -
- - Rl+ 0:45 -
- - Rl+ 0:37 -
- - Rl+ 0:11 -
- - Rl+ 0:11 -
- - Rl+ 0:45 -
- - Rl+ 0:07 -
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
5532 pts/1 - 1:05 ./process
- - Sl+ 0:00 -
- - Rl+ 0:51 -
- - Rl+ 0:21 -
- - Rl+ 0:55 -
- - Rl+ 0:46 -
- - Rl+ 0:12 -
- - Rl+ 0:12 -
- - Rl+ 0:59 -
- - Rl+ 0:08 -
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
5532 pts/1 - 1:13 ./process
- - Sl+ 0:00 -
- - Rl+ 0:56 -
- - Rl+ 0:22 -
- - Rl+ 1:00 -
- - Rl+ 0:52 -
- - Rl+ 0:13 -
- - Rl+ 0:13 -
- - Rl+ 1:04 -
- - Rl+ 0:09 -
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
5532 pts/1 - 5:13 ./process
- - S+ 5:13 -

$ cat process.c
#include <pthread.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <stdio.h>

/*
* Burn cpu cycles for about 10 seconds
*/
static void *do_unit(void *arg)
{
time_t t0,t1;

t0 = time(NULL);
do {
t1 = time(NULL);
} while (t1 - t0 <= 10);
return NULL;
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
pthread_t tids[8];
int i;
char cmd[128];

sprintf(cmd, "ps m -p %d", getpid());
for (i = 0; i < 8 ; i++)
pthread_create(&tids[i], NULL, do_unit, NULL);
for (i = 0; i < 9; i++) {
sleep(1);
system(cmd);
}