From: Tamas K Papp on
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:12:30 -0500, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> On 2010-01-25 01:37:53 -0500, Rahul Jain said:
>
>> Which commercial lisp comes with all the random open source lisp
>> libraries pre-bundled, tested, and kept reasonably up-to-date?
>
> The OP wasn't talking about "all the random open source lisp libraries
> ." He was talking about getting incompatible versions of slime and
> swank, two components essential for basic editor/compiler/interpreter
> interaction with most open source common lisps. These two components are

This happened to me only once, when I mixed stuff from Debian with
development versions from the repositories (quite a stupid thing). I
had been using Lisp for about 2 months back then (still pretty green
behind the ears), and I just realized that I should install the latest
of everything, and voila, it worked. After that, I started using
clbuild, and never had troubles like this.

YMMV, but I would guess that getting slime to work is not the part
which is typically problematic. I found the management of other
libraries a comparatively larger PITA. AFAIK commercial lisps don't
offer an advantage there.

> an IDE) is that before one can do the most basic things one has to
> negotiate the potential migrane headache of configuring emacs and slime.

I consider "migrane headache" a bit of an overstatement. clbuild will
get you the latest SLIME, and emit an Emacs snippet upon request
(clbuild slime-configuration) which you just have to paste into your
Emacs config file. The whole process takes a few minutes.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that some commercial
lisps don't offer a smoother experience installation experience---they
might, especially for newbies. But the free alternative is not
super-difficult to install either.

Tamas