From: Alawton on
I opened an email with a (.wmv)

My Windows media player gave me this error message.

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the
file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

What am I doing wrong?

Would appreciate any help.
From: Twayne on
In news:17411BBA-9F02-4BCC-95A1-5CD32AA75A19(a)microsoft.com,
Alawton <Alawton(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I opened an email with a (.wmv)
>
> My Windows media player gave me this error message.
>
> Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might
> not support the file type or might not support the codec
> that was used to compress the file.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Would appreciate any help.

Umm, trying to play a format WMP can't play? Or maybe missing a needed
codec? Can't run that file here either.

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

From: David Webb on
It's not strictly an audio file. The .wmv is a video file which may contain
audio content.

If it's an attachment, try saving it to your HDD and see if it plays correctly
there.

Otherwise, you need to tell us which e-mail client application you're using.

From: VanguardLH on
Alawton wrote:

> I opened an email with a (.wmv)
>
> My Windows media player gave me this error message.
>
> Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the
> file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Would appreciate any help.

Ask the sender to play the .wmv file that they sent you. After the sending
knows the .wmv file has correct content, have them resend you the .wmv file.
Who knows what the sender gave you via e-mail. They might've sent you a
corrupted file, or it doesn't contain any content other than a pointer to
it, or it could be a mislabelled file (wrong extension), or they have a
codec that you don't have.
From: Paul on
Alawton wrote:
> I opened an email with a (.wmv)
>
> My Windows media player gave me this error message.
>
> Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the
> file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Would appreciate any help.

This program can be used to identify the contents of media files.

http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/index.htm

The latest version is V2.70a

http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

With that program running, you can save the attachment you received
in the email, then drag and drop it on top of the open window. If
the file is recognized, you might see some details in the window.
Clicking the numbered buttons at the bottom, will attempt to play it.
If you see errors, it might report a codec is missing to play the file.
With a little luck, you might figure out what is in the file.

You can learn more about WMV here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wmv

At the bottom of that page, it mentions VLC player, which is another
way you might try playing the file. There are a number of separate
players you can add to your computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLC_Media_Player

Paul
 |  Next  |  Last