From: Jason Woodbury on
I have a server running 64bit SQl 2008 standard and the application we have
to run on it needs to be able to lock pages in memory. I tried to do this
via the local policies but the add users is greyed out and I'm stuck.
Currently without that setting i'm using 11.8Gb of memory of the 12 and i'm
told this is needed in order to stop that from happening. If someone might
know of a way to add the users to this "lock pages in memory" i'd greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
From: Erland Sommarskog on
Jason Woodbury (JasonWoodbury(a)discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> I have a server running 64bit SQl 2008 standard and the application we
> have to run on it needs to be able to lock pages in memory. I tried to
> do this via the local policies but the add users is greyed out and I'm
> stuck. Currently without that setting i'm using 11.8Gb of memory of the
> 12 and i'm told this is needed in order to stop that from happening. If
> someone might know of a way to add the users to this "lock pages in
> memory" i'd greatly appreciate it.

A couple of this here:

o You need some CU of SQL 2008 SP1 to take benefit of Lock Pages in
Memory on Standard Edition.

o The point with lock pages, is that it prevents SQL Server from losing
memory just because a driver goes bezerk. If SQL Server uses 11.8 GB
of memory of 12 GB total, something is strange, but then you should
set max memory for SQL server.

o As for the question, that is about setting a permission in Windows, and
it may be best asked in a Windows forum. (It's beyond my area, anyway.)

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: TheSQLGuru on
lockpages is NOT required to stop SQL Server from taking too much memory,
and in fact if you have in on and sql DOES take too much memory it might be
less than optimal.

Just set your max server memory setting to about 8-9GB and then monitor for
paging and other indications of memory pressure.

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: mamalatek on
Check to see what group policy is being applied.