From: Jeff on
hi

I've installed sql server 2005 express on my winxp machine (sp3). And
created a login and restored a database and created a database user based on
that login. When I from my asp.net app tryes to connect I get a Login failed
for user 'x' error.

Also I get this error when login into the sql servre management studio, so
the error isn't all about asp.net.

Think this is related to the configuration of remote connections, I've
enabled remote connections ("using both TCP/IP and named pipes")

These services are running on my computer:
Sql Server browser -> NT Authurity\networkService
sql Server (SqlExpress) -> LocalSystem

(i've been googling without finding the correct answer to this problem)

any suggestions?

From: Tibor Karaszi on
The SQL Server errorlog file will have the specific reason to why the logins
filed.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

From: sloan on
Bookmark these in your "Bookmarks That Should Exist Forever" folder.

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/05/21/sql-server-fix-error-provider-named-pipes-provider-error-40-could-not-open-a-connection-to-sql-server-microsoft-sql-server-error/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646023.aspx#BKMK_dynamic_ports

From: Jeff on
Not sure where the Sql Server eventlog is but I found this in the event
viewer:
Login faied for user 'x' [client:192:168.1.183]
category = 4
eventid = 18456
type = failure Aud
Source = MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS
user = N/A

"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi(a)hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in
message news:%23IBYfZYtKHA.5936(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

From: Tibor Karaszi on
The error log file is a text file named "errorlog", which by default is in
the installation catalog for your SQL Server (which by default is under
Program Files).