From: Luis R. Rodriguez on
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Kevin McKinney <klmckinney1(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Dan, thanks for the info, I was thinking I could leverage code from an
> existing driver with similar functionality.
>
> By the way, the advisor will NOT require any work.  The primary
> responsibility of the advisor is to verify the requirements.  That is,
> making sure the developed driver actually works.
>
> Anybody willing to verify the finished product can serve as the advisor.  If
> I have any technical questions while developing the driver, I will post them
> to the entire open source community. Please let me know if anyone is
> interested.

Stupid question, have you tried plugging the device in to verify it is
indeed not supported? I have a Logitech headset with USB vendor:device
ID 046d:0a12 (yours is 046d:0a01) and it works like a charm. I believe
the device works using its own protocol and embedded firmware, it does
not need a driver. Not sure how the device exposes the audio/input
functionality to the OS yet but it does.

Luis
From: Luis R. Rodriguez on
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Kevin McKinney <klmckinney1(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Luis,
> Yeah, I was thinking about reverse engineering the process and delineating
> that in a formal report; but my project would be stronger by creating a new
> driver. So I will look at porting another device.
> Thank you for your help!! I am glad you chimed in!!
> Do you mind if I send any more questions I have to you?  I will limit my
> questions to only two per week (if needed)…

you might be better off using the devel driver list.

Luis
From: Jiri Kosina on
On Wed, 19 May 2010, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Kevin McKinney <klmckinney1(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Luis,
> > Yes, I tried it about two months ago with not luck. I also performed a grep
> > on the source code and did not find the device ID specified.

That doesn't mean anything. USB drivers are free to bind to devices based
on USB class, not on VID/PID (and a lot of class drivers actually do
that).

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.