From: Mark Goodge on
OK, I'm sure this is in the documentation somewhere, but my brain isn't
working this morning and I need to get a fix for this fairly quickly, so
I'm asking here instead :-)

Anyway, I currently have a situation where mail is currently received by
machine A, which then forwards it to machine B. (B is inside a firewall,
A is the public-facing mail server and is the only external system which
has access to B on port 25). Last night, the internal network on which B
resides suffered a catastrophic failure and B is, therefore, not
accepting mail from A. It's likely that it won't be accepting mail again
until after the weekend.

What I need to do is configure A so that mail destined for B is stored
indefinitely (well, for a few days, at least) without generating NDRs or
attempted delivery notifications, so that when B comes back online all
the stored mail can be delivered and none of the senders will have
received any bounces or delay notifications.

So my question is: which parameters do I need to change, and what should
their values be, to achieve this? I'm currently using Postfix 2.3.8, and
here's my postconf -n with some private data redacted:

alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
append_dot_mydomain = no
biff = no
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
config_directory = /etc/postfix
header_checks = pcre:/etc/postfix/header_checks
home_mailbox = Maildir/
inet_interfaces = all
mailbox_size_limit = 0
message_size_limit = 30480000
mydestination = $myhostname , [redacted]
myhostname = [redacted]
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8,[redacted]
myorigin = /etc/mailname
recipient_delimiter = +
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name here - who the heck are you?
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
permit_sasl_authenticated reject_unauth_destination
reject_non_fqdn_sender reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname
check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/sender_access
smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd
virtual_alias_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_domains.cf
virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_aliases.cf

Thanks

Mark
--
http://mark.goodge.co.uk

From: Wietse Venema on
Mark Goodge:
> OK, I'm sure this is in the documentation somewhere, but my brain isn't
> working this morning and I need to get a fix for this fairly quickly, so
> I'm asking here instead :-)
>
> Anyway, I currently have a situation where mail is currently received by
> machine A, which then forwards it to machine B. (B is inside a firewall,
> A is the public-facing mail server and is the only external system which
> has access to B on port 25). Last night, the internal network on which B
> resides suffered a catastrophic failure and B is, therefore, not
> accepting mail from A. It's likely that it won't be accepting mail again
> until after the weekend.
>
> What I need to do is configure A so that mail destined for B is stored
> indefinitely (well, for a few days, at least) without generating NDRs or
> attempted delivery notifications, so that when B comes back online all
> the stored mail can be delivered and none of the senders will have
> received any bounces or delay notifications.

Consider temporarily increasing the bounce_queue_lifetime and
maximal_queue_lifetime.

This requires "postfix reload" as the life times are implemented
in the queue manager which normally runs forever.

Wietse

From: Mark Goodge on
On 23/07/2010 13:37, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Mark Goodge:
>>
>> What I need to do is configure A so that mail destined for B is stored
>> indefinitely (well, for a few days, at least) without generating NDRs or
>> attempted delivery notifications, so that when B comes back online all
>> the stored mail can be delivered and none of the senders will have
>> received any bounces or delay notifications.
>
> Consider temporarily increasing the bounce_queue_lifetime and
> maximal_queue_lifetime.
>
> This requires "postfix reload" as the life times are implemented
> in the queue manager which normally runs forever.

Thanks. That looks to be precisely what I need. In fact, the defaults
should be OK, since we should have the internal server accepting mail
again within 5 days, but it's worth noting this in case that turns out
not to be achievable.

Mark
--
http://mark.goodge.co.uk