From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

dudelmann wrote:
> Hi
>
> thanks for all the helpful answers so far.
>
> Concerning the framing:
> In a bit error free scenario the codec does not need framing since all
> adaptive coefficients are updated depending on the already received data.

This approach is considerably less efficient then sending the
coefficients upfront, because the coefficient update is based on the
synthetic data from the past.

> Now I know of course that in practice I will have to send the coefficients
> from time to time since there will be errors

You don't have to. Properly designed algorithm can recover by itself.

> and I also don't know when the receiver is going to start decoding.

You don't have to. Properly designed algorithm can resync by itself.

> in other words: I am planning to have
> some sort of framing and also some sort of FEC in these frames.
> My idea was to additionally use the fill-up bits for FEC. But maybe it is
> wiser to merely add FEC after my codec and use the fill-up bits for
> additional data - like config, or names or time or whatever

There you go. But why reinventing wheels in the first time?

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com