From: Michael Shadle on
Yes, there is Moodle.

However, upon installing it, I found the admin UI to be extremely
gaudy, counter-intuitive, and requires it's own learning system just
to get it right (ha ha)

Does anyone know of any other options out there?

Obviously, open source is best, I'd even take some reasonably priced
options though that allow for some extensibility.

There should be the following capabilities:

- Learning tracks - groups of courses/modules
- Modules or courses - pages of content, videos, whatever, with or
without quizzes and related test-like activities
- Reporting / metrics - scores for individuals, groups
- User authentication (obviously) - bonus if external authentication
or some way to hook into external user auth
- Not extremely hard to theme or customize the look
- Users should be able to resume where they left off in courses
- Mobile support (or some way it can be themed or made very usable for
mobile devices, mainly iDevices)
- Questions and answers can be randomized, allow for $x retakes,
explain why their answer is wrong (or at least a reference to a URL)
- Questions can be multiple choice, single choice, short answer, etc.

It should be easy for an end user to take tests and move through
courses, the course could just be a test - it doesn't necessarily need
to be pages of content and such. It should be easy for "teachers" or
course editors to be able to modify content and test questions and
such. I develop web apps for a living (and have taken hundreds of
online tests), and Moodle took me a few trial and errors before I
figured out how to associate an answer to a question and then a
question to a module, etc. - it also has so many options, it's hard to
predict how your course will actually come out in the end.

I'm open to suggestions about decently developed/supported modules for
systems like Drupal as well.

Thanks!
From: Bastien Koert on
On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Michael Shadle <mike503(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, there is Moodle.
>
> However, upon installing it, I found the admin UI to be extremely
> gaudy, counter-intuitive, and requires it's own learning system just
> to get it right (ha ha)
>
> Does anyone know of any other options out there?
>
> Obviously, open source is best, I'd even take some reasonably priced
> options though that allow for some extensibility.
>
> There should be the following capabilities:
>
> - Learning tracks - groups of courses/modules
> - Modules or courses - pages of content, videos, whatever, with or
> without quizzes and related test-like activities
> - Reporting / metrics - scores for individuals, groups
> - User authentication (obviously) - bonus if external authentication
> or some way to hook into external user auth
> - Not extremely hard to theme or customize the look
> - Users should be able to resume where they left off in courses
> - Mobile support (or some way it can be themed or made very usable for
> mobile devices, mainly iDevices)
> - Questions and answers can be randomized, allow for $x retakes,
> explain why their answer is wrong (or at least a reference to a URL)
> - Questions can be multiple choice, single choice, short answer, etc.
>
> It should be easy for an end user to take tests and move through
> courses, the course could just be a test - it doesn't necessarily need
> to be pages of content and such. It should be easy for "teachers" or
> course editors to be able to modify content and test questions and
> such. I develop web apps for a living (and have taken hundreds of
> online tests), and Moodle took me a few trial and errors before I
> figured out how to associate an answer to a question and then a
> question to a module, etc. - it also has so many options, it's hard to
> predict how your course will actually come out in the end.
>
> I'm open to suggestions about decently developed/supported modules for
> systems like Drupal as well.
>
> Thanks!

Our company built one on top of wordpress. You can easily build most
of it with stock plugins and it has UIs for idevices...worth
considering

--

Bastien

Cat, the other other white meat
From: Michael Shadle on

On Aug 31, 2010, at 7:53 PM, Bastien Koert <phpster(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Our company built one on top of wordpress. You can easily build most
> of it with stock plugins and it has UIs for idevices...worth
> considering

Yeah - obviously anything can be built and a lot of things can be extended.... But were on a tight deadline for the first pass and would like something a little more out of the box (ideally)

From: "Richard S. Crawford" on
I'm late to this thread, so I don't know what's been mentioned here already..
However, I'd be remiss if I did not recommend Moodle (http://www.moodle.org)
as an open-source learning management system. The learning curve is a bit
steep, especially if you're going to mess around in the code, but it's
powerful and flexible.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Michael Shadle <mike503(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2010, at 7:53 PM, Bastien Koert <phpster(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Our company built one on top of wordpress. You can easily build most
> > of it with stock plugins and it has UIs for idevices...worth
> > considering
>
> Yeah - obviously anything can be built and a lot of things can be
> extended... But were on a tight deadline for the first pass and would like
> something a little more out of the box (ideally)

Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (richard(a)underpope.com)
http://www.underpope.com
Publisher and Editor in Chief, Daikaijuzine (http://www.daikaijuzine.com)