From: ivan martin on
On Fri, 14 May 2010 06:01:23 -0700 (PDT), ndl_91 <nicolas.lardjane(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 12 mai, 04:29, ivan martin <i.mar...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> following dpb's advice from my previous question: 'calling a subroutine with a "string constant"':
>> I have the need for it for when I run into some strange results data, that I can relatively quickly
>> plot it.

>> With regards,
>> Ivan
>
>Hello Ivan.
>I'm not sure I've understood your main expectation but if you're just
>interested in plotting data you should use a simple external program
>such as gnuplot. gnuplot can do quite the same as the DISLIN library.
>Having a simple gnuplot script will allow you to draw your curves.
>Contact me if you want some more details.
>NL

Hi Nicolas,

I've seen gnuplot a couple of times, and indeed it is a very nice library (little buggy perhaps ...
autoscaling with multiple plots causes one plot to dissapear).

In this case my main objection to it, is that I've never managed to get it working in a way, in
which I operate DISLIN, that I can use it from "inside" my program.
I have no problems with writing for example, a data file, or a .gnu file. What I don't understand is
how I can call gnuplot from my fortran program (with a system command), in a way that it draws me my
plot, and afterwards leaves me on dos/cmd prompt instead of gnuplot prompt.

Something like:
- instead of:
c:\> gnuplot
gnuplot> load 'my_file.gnu'
.... gives out plot
.... I close the graph, and I'm back on
gnuplot>

- I'm looking for a way to do:
c:\> gnuplot ... something ... 'my_file.gnu'
.... gives out plot
.... I close the graph, and I'm back on
c:\>

Is there such a way of operating gnuplot (I need a way to draw my plots and stay inside my fortran
program) ?

--
Ivan
From: ivan martin on
On Fri, 14 May 2010 07:28:22 -0700 (PDT), GaryScott <garylscott(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>For free I assume...of course GINO and Winteracter can do all that and
>much more, even motion and 3D

Yes, my programs are not commercial. I may be misunderstanding this, but I haven't seen either of
the two offering the use of their libraries for usage which is not commercial (free). Only trial
versions, which expire after a month.

They're very fine libraries indeed (I would dare to say the best of what I've seen so far, for
visualization, short of standalone programs), but in this case that drawback presents a major flaw,
since I need my program to work for at least six months (until the defense :))

--
Ivan