From: Mobius on
Still love XP.
Vista and Windows 7 notwithstanding.
Vista was a messy experience.
Seven is better but too much eye candy and unnecessary complexity.
Will stick to XP on my own machine till the service updates run out for SP3
in 2014.
Maybe Windows 8 will be out by then.
Or will try Linux maybe.
Cannot understand why MS has graduated to making OSes so overladen.
Doesn't anybody make lean and trim OSes anymore?
I don't like the way that twist goes.
Mobius
--------

From: Alias on
Mobius wrote:
> Still love XP.
> Vista and Windows 7 notwithstanding.
> Vista was a messy experience.
> Seven is better but too much eye candy and unnecessary complexity.
> Will stick to XP on my own machine till the service updates run out for SP3
> in 2014.
> Maybe Windows 8 will be out by then.
> Or will try Linux maybe.
> Cannot understand why MS has graduated to making OSes so overladen.
> Doesn't anybody make lean and trim OSes anymore?
> I don't like the way that twist goes.
> Mobius
> --------

Check this out:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

--
Alias
From: dadiOH on
Mobius wrote:

> Cannot understand why MS has graduated to making OSes so overladen.

For the same reason that auto manufacturers put spoilers on your family car.

For the same reason electronic manufacturers came out with a 16:9 ratio for
TVs.

Etcetera...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: Big_Al on
Mobius said this on 5/23/2010 6:48 AM:
> Still love XP.
> Vista and Windows 7 notwithstanding.
> Vista was a messy experience.
> Seven is better but too much eye candy and unnecessary complexity.
> Will stick to XP on my own machine till the service updates run out for SP3
> in 2014.
> Maybe Windows 8 will be out by then.
> Or will try Linux maybe.
> Cannot understand why MS has graduated to making OSes so overladen.
> Doesn't anybody make lean and trim OSes anymore?
> I don't like the way that twist goes.
> Mobius
> --------

You'd love the Ford Motel T wouldn't you. It didn't have a radio or
bluetooth or A/C.

From: Daave on
Alias wrote:
> Mobius wrote:
>> Still love XP.
>> Vista and Windows 7 notwithstanding.
>> Vista was a messy experience.
>> Seven is better but too much eye candy and unnecessary complexity.
>> Will stick to XP on my own machine till the service updates run out
>> for SP3 in 2014.
>> Maybe Windows 8 will be out by then.
>> Or will try Linux maybe.
>> Cannot understand why MS has graduated to making OSes so overladen.
>> Doesn't anybody make lean and trim OSes anymore?
>> I don't like the way that twist goes.
>> Mobius
>> --------
>>

> Check this out:
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/

I'll call your Ubuntu and raise you one Linux Mint:

http://www.linuxmint.com/

To OP:

If you have more of a hobbyist (and perhaps have a contrarian and/or
independent personality), Linux is certainly an option. With most Linux
distros (remember: most are free), you need to provide your own support.

Microsoft Windows is of course more widely used and tends to offer
better support. I, too, am still happy with XP; it suits my needs and
will be supported in the form of security patches through 2014. If your
needs are met and your PC is in good shape, save the money and keep on
using your PC with XP.]

And why not make a live Linux Mint CD in the meantime? (Or you could
configure a dual boot.) There's no reason you can't have both. :-)