From: Francis Baiden on
Hi guys,

After seeing the benefits one can derived in developing applications running
on sql, I have tried my hands on some small
application, but with some challenges, and I will be grateful if someone can
help me out.

I want the contents one table to be added to some specific fields in another
table. for eg.

Table 1

P_Id pMonth pYear pRegistrar pFormType
pCasetype .....

table 2
fID FormName
1 Land
2 Commercial
3 Defamation
.... .....

I want to insert the values of table 2 to table 1 specifically the P_Id and
Casetype and line with some global variables glo:Month = "July"; glo:Year =
2010; glo:registrar = "Rexford Gyimah" ; glo:rform = "Form A".

I want the result table to look like this after the insert

P_Id pMonth pYear pRegistrar pFormType
pCasetype
1 July 2010 Rexford Gyimah Form A
Land
2 July 2010 Rexford Gyimah Form A
Commercial
3 July 2010 Rexford Gyimah Form A
Defamation

Can any help me with the right syntax for such an operation. This is one of
my challenges in this application am working on.

Thank you.

Francis

From: John Bell on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:11:57 -0000, "Francis Baiden"
<joebaiden1(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>After seeing the benefits one can derived in developing applications running
>on sql, I have tried my hands on some small
>application, but with some challenges, and I will be grateful if someone can
>help me out.
>
>I want the contents one table to be added to some specific fields in another
>table. for eg.
>
>Table 1
>
>P_Id pMonth pYear pRegistrar pFormType
>pCasetype .....
>

>table 2
>fID FormName
>1 Land
>2 Commercial
>3 Defamation
>... .....
>
>I want to insert the values of table 2 to table 1 specifically the P_Id and
>Casetype and line with some global variables glo:Month = "July"; glo:Year =
>2010; glo:registrar = "Rexford Gyimah" ; glo:rform = "Form A".
>
>I want the result table to look like this after the insert
>
>P_Id pMonth pYear pRegistrar pFormType
>pCasetype
>1 July 2010 Rexford Gyimah Form A
>Land
>2 July 2010 Rexford Gyimah Form A
>Commercial
>3 July 2010 Rexford Gyimah Form A
>Defamation
>
>Can any help me with the right syntax for such an operation. This is one of
>my challenges in this application am working on.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Francis

Hi

It is not that clear what you are trying to do, if you posted DDL and
example data as insert statements it would be less ambiguous and give
people something to go on. See
http://www.aspfaq.com/etiquette.asp?id=5006

How do you match rows in table1 and table2 ?

John
From: Philipp Post on
> I want to insert the values of table 2 to table 1 specifically the P_Id and
> Casetype and line with some global variables glo:Month = "July"; glo:Year =
> 2010; glo:registrar = "Rexford Gyimah" ; glo:rform = "Form A".

Like this?

INSERT INTO Table_1(P_Id, pMonth, pYear, pRegistrar, pFormType,
pCasetype)
SELECT P_Id, 'July' AS pMonth, 2010 AS pYear, 'Rexford Gyimah' AS
pRegistrar, 'Form A' AS pFormType, pCasetype
FROM Table_2
WHERE [insert conditions here]

brgds

Philipp Post