From: kangax on
MS released what they call "Internet Explorer ECMA-262 ECMAScript
Language Specification Standards Support Document"

You can download pdf from
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff520996%28VS.85%29.aspx>

I'm genuinely excited about this, as document includes all of the
JScript deviations � I hope � from ES3, and essentially looks like parts
of ECMA-262 3rd ed. specs with corrections/additions.

Everything we had to guess before can now be read about in details.
Things that we know about:

- that production of /SingleEscapeCharacter/ doesn't include "v";

- that "JScript 5.x only considers the following to be
/FutureReservedWords/: class, const, debugger, enum, export, extends,
import, super."

- that "In JScript 5.x a property created using [[Put]] is given the
DontEnum attribute if it shadows a prototype property with the same name
that already has the DontEnum attribute."

- that "JScript 5.x variable instantiations creates properties of the
global object that have the DontEnum attribute."

or didn't (I'm speaking for myself here), e.g. that "unknown" type is
returned for objects that are of type *SafeArray*.

Document also includes what looks like a full formal grammar of JScript
(and yes, shows that /FunctionDeclaration/ in fact IS part of a
/Statement/ :))

An extensive section showcasing Date deviations is there too (which I
think Dr. Stockton should enjoy).

....and many others goodies.

--
kangax
From: Dmitry A. Soshnikov on
On Mar 31, 2:50 am, kangax <kan...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> MS released what they call "Internet Explorer ECMA-262 ECMAScript
> Language Specification Standards Support Document"
>
> You can download pdf from
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff520996%28VS.85%29.aspx>
>
> I'm genuinely excited about this, as document includes all of the
> JScript deviations — I hope — from ES3, and essentially looks like parts
> of ECMA-262 3rd ed. specs with corrections/additions.
>
> Everything we had to guess before can now be read about in details.
> Things that we know about:
>
> - that production of /SingleEscapeCharacter/ doesn't include "v";
>
> - that "JScript 5.x only considers the following to be
> /FutureReservedWords/: class, const, debugger, enum, export, extends,
> import, super."
>
> - that "In JScript 5.x a property created using [[Put]] is given the
> DontEnum attribute if it shadows a prototype property with the same name
> that already has the DontEnum attribute."
>
> - that "JScript 5.x variable instantiations creates properties of the
> global object that have the DontEnum attribute."
>
> or didn't (I'm speaking for myself here), e.g. that "unknown" type is
> returned for objects that are of type *SafeArray*.
>
> Document also includes what looks like a full formal grammar of JScript
> (and yes, shows that /FunctionDeclaration/ in fact IS part of a
> /Statement/ :))
>
> An extensive section showcasing Date deviations is there too (which I
> think Dr. Stockton should enjoy).
>
> ...and many others goodies.

Thanks, it is useful. Although, there was an old version of this
publication: <URL:
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/lib/exe/fetch.php?id=resources:resources&cache=cache&media=resources:jscriptdeviationsfromes3.pdf>

Dmitry.
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <44adne6z4d62HS_WnZ2dnUVZ_uqknZ2d(a)giganews.
com>, Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:50:19, kangax <kangax(a)gmail.com> posted:
>MS released what they call "Internet Explorer ECMA-262 ECMAScript Language
>Specification Standards Support Document"
>
>You can download pdf from <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff52099
>6%28VS.85%29.aspx>

Page 34/134, v0065, Table, Number : how far below?

I see a confession of the toFixed error (p.87/134); the precise wording
there should replace that in the FAQ, but not the example of 0.007.

I did not see about the long-integer-string to Number fault.

Page 90/134 : 1884 starts Tuesday; 1995 2023 2012 start Sunday. Perhaps
they mean 1984. It seems that their Summer Time Rules depend on the year,
in conflict with ISO/IEC 16262 15.9.1.8 :
The implementation of ECMAScript should not try to determine
whether the exact time was subject to daylight saving time, but
just whether daylight saving time would have been in effect if
the current daylight saving time algorithm had been used at the
time. This avoids complications such as taking into account the
years that the locale observed daylight saving time year round.

Diligent US/CA readers of my site should have seen that demonstrated, I
hope, somewhere.

In fact, for the first two months of 2007, the applicable US Rules were 1
Sun Apr & 5/4 Sun Oct; but not necessarily so in the various Provinces to
the North.

After revising 1984, the mapping will be OK in all locations that have at
most one rule change within 1971 to 2036 inclusive, and that first taking
effect from Spring 2007.

(a) UK rules changed in 1971 (end of all-year Summer)
(b) Present UK rules came into effect in 1996.
(c) US H.R.6 Energy Policy Act of 2005 says that Congress may revert
(d) While there seems to be no present agreed official intent, in UK,
EU, & US, to change the current rules before (or after) 2037, that
certainly can happen.
(e) AFAIK, only Vista and later provide for two different sets of Rules,
but ICBW,

So there is no guarantee that the mapping to forward years will have the
desired effect.

Oh I have a cousin Willie / who plays Soccer for Caerphilly /
And when he plays at Rugger / he do look rather like Microsoft.
(After Trad., modified, but not in
<http://homepage.mac.com/bothways/Sites/fsc/fscdidyoueversee.htm>;
cf. Wiki "Crawshay Bailey", Google "Cosher Bailey")

Perhaps some US readers could investigate what actually happens locally
with IE, in Vista+ & XP-.

At first glance, that is the only serious date deviation. I've not
compared such as Date.prototype.setHours in that MS PDF with ECMA 3/5.

It goes at length into defining DateObject <-> String which ECMA leaves
undefined.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.