From: Eric Chopin on
Dear all,

I maintain a VB6 application including MSCharts controls, working well with
my old ocx file (mschrt20.ocx V6.00.88.4, March 14th 2000).
In my company, an upgrade was done on the operating system and this
file was upgraded to V 6.1.98.12 and the application becomes unstable
(apparently, all old VB6 applications suffer from this upgrade and not only
regarding MSChart controls).

For instance in my application I have a line coded this way:

With MSChart.Plot.Backdrop
End With

With the new control the application gets an error on the With line
with description "bad function argument". On some other pieces of codes the
application crashes completely, like for instance on a line of type:

Me.frm_MyFrame.Visible = True

where Me is a VB.Form and frm_MyFrame is a VB.Frame
(I checked by editing the .frm file ), BUT the bug displayed is: Visual Basic

Error Signature --------------------------------------------------------

AppName vb6.exe AppVer 6.0.81.76 ModName: mschrt20.ocx

ModVer: 6.1.98.12 Offset 000644ba

Followed by a typical message "The instruction at.... referenced memory ....
at. The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program"

(Actually the crash only occurs on a frame that contains an MSChart control,
not the others..)

The origin of the problem seems to be a security update of microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932349/en-us
(critical security update MS08-070 )

Did anybody get a similar problem with this patch?
Any idea if there is a fix to this major regression??

Thanks and best regards,

Eric

From: "Bill McCarthy" TPASoft.com Are Identity on
Hi Eric,

As was posted in another thread, see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957924/

That appears to be a later version than the one you are testing against.

From: Eric Chopin on
Dear Bill,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this later patch does not fix the
problem.
To reproduce the bug:
Config: XP pro 2002 Sp2, VB6 runtime SP6.
Add a MSChart and a button in a form, plus the below code, and when clicking
on
the button, the app crashes (but works with an older version of the ocx).
Best regards,
Eric

Private Sub Command1_Click()
InitializeMSChartAA Me.MSChart
MsgBox "Test done!"
End Sub

Public Sub InitializeMSChartAA(MSChart As MSChart)
Dim serX As Object
On Error GoTo EH
Set serX = MSChart.Plot.SeriesCollection.Item(1)
serX.DataPoints.Item(-1).DataPointLabel.LocationType =
VtChLabelLocationTypeAbovePoint
serX.DataPoints.Item(-1).DataPointLabel.ValueFormat = "0,0%"
Set serX = Nothing
GetOut:
Exit Sub

EH:
MsgBox Err.Description
End Sub

From: "Bill McCarthy" TPASoft.com Are Identity on
Hi Eric,

I have reproduced the problem with versions 6.1.98.12 (on Vista) and
6.1.98.13 (on XP). The bug is actually a very serious one, IMO, as they are
using unchecked buffers. I have escalated a request to get a fix. I'll
post back if I hear anything.
If you are a MSDN subscriber I would raise a support incident as it is
clearly their fault so should be no charge.

From: Eric Chopin on
Hi Bill,
The company I'm working for (a bank) already got a problem with
some other VB apps used at the trading floors, so the team in charge
of maintaining the O/S opened a case at Microsoft support last week,
but it was closed (no idea why). Since the rollback of the security patch
seems
very difficult to perform, and the problem was confirmed on the VB
application
I maintain, the O/S team will reopen the case, but they do not expect a quick
solution. That's why, in the short term I have asked to manually change the
ocx
by an older version on patched workstations, and the O/S team is working
on a solution to rollback the changes of this patch (so far, such
attemps made the O/S unstable ....).

Best regards,

Eric

Pages: 1 2