From: Colin on
I have a front end Exchange 2003 server that is receiving the following
error message in the application log every minute:
The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error:
The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either there are
network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down for
maintenance.
The MAPI provider failed.
------
I've looked at quite a few KB articles and the below one briefly touches on
what my problem may be.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=262456

The Mailox Store and Public Folder Store are not mounted on the Front End
Server since there is no need to store data on this server. I have a
feeling this is why I'm getting the error message. If I don't have any
storage mounted is the System Attendant still running? Everything seems to
be working fine on the front end, so I really just want to get rid of the
error message being reported. Should I mount the stores even though they
aren't being used?

From: Nuevo on
You should delete the message stores as they are not needed, assuming that
not SMTP mail is not through your FE box. The fact that you have just
dismounted the store is the likely cause of the problem.

Nue

From: Colin on
I have DNS Server running as a service on the Front End box. How does this
change what I need to do? Should I still delete the stores?

From: Nuevo on
Doesn't change anything. Delete the stores.