From: MN on
Hi,
Could you give me an advice what are different between MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS and
MSSQL SQLEXPRESS? Sorry I am not good memory :"(

Thank you all.
From: John Bell on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:02:37 -0700, MN <MN(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>Could you give me an advice what are different between MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS and
>MSSQL SQLEXPRESS? Sorry I am not good memory :"(
>
>Thank you all.

MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS is the service name for a default SQL Express
Instance. MSSQL SQLEXPRESS does not have any particular meaning AFAIK,
The default instancename for SQLExpress would be
computername\SQLExpress

The service name for a default instance of SQL Server would be
MSSQLSQLSERVER.

John

From: Erland Sommarskog on
MN (MN(a)discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> Could you give me an advice what are different between MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS
> and MSSQL SQLEXPRESS? Sorry I am not good memory :"(

MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS would be an instance of SQL Server, probably of Express
Edition, unless someone is pulling your legs. The other does not mean
anything in particular.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: MN on
Thank you John and Erland. I remember now :"-)

Best Regards.
NM