From: jmarr02s on
When I am linking tables from an Oracle database to an Access database
(ODBC
Data Sources) which Oracle driver must I choose?

I was informed to use "Oracle in OraClient10g_home"...and that I may
need to press the "new" button to use this data source....

The only driver that allowed me to open another dailogue box was
"Oracle in OraClient10g_home2"
but I got no further....

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong and how to address my
problem...

Thanks!

jmarr02s

From: Tim Marshall on
jmarr02s wrote:

> When I am linking tables from an Oracle database to an Access database
> (ODBC
> Data Sources) which Oracle driver must I choose?
>
> I was informed to use "Oracle in OraClient10g_home"...and that I may
> need to press the "new" button to use this data source....
>
> The only driver that allowed me to open another dailogue box was
> "Oracle in OraClient10g_home2"
> but I got no further....
>
> Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong and how to address my
> problem...

Jmarr, your problem is that you don't know what you're doing. 8) I
don't mean that in a nasty way, but it's apparant that someone has set
up on your machine a DSN called "Oracle in OraClient10g_home" or "Oracle
in "OraClient10g_home2".

When they say "you may need to press the 'new' button to use this data
source, it tells me you really don't understand what is happening. The
new button allows you to create a new DSN. To do this, you need to know
what Oracle User in the Oracle schema your dealing with is required,
what Oracle ODBC driver (it will be listed most likely as "Oracle ODBC
Driver" with a version in the list of available drivers), and, most
importantly, the password for that particular Oracle user.

There's also a difference between file and machine data source.

You need to ask whoever your administrator is about this.
--
Tim http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
^o<