From: Alice Wei on

Hi,

I have an issue here where I see no PHP errors on my mail
function usage, and yet I am not getting the mail in the desired
account. Here is what I have for my PHP code:

$headers = "From: ajwei(a)alumni.iu.edu" ;
$to = $email;
$subject =
"Comments Regarding My Site";
$body = "From: $your_name\n E-Mail:
$email\n Reason Contact: $question\n Comments:\n $comments";
mail($to,
$subject, $body,$headers);

This is what I have in my PHP.ini:

[mail
function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = smtp.live.com
smtp_port =
587

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = ajwei(a)alumni.iu.edu

;
For Unix only. You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t
-i").
;sendmail_path =

; Force the addition of the specified
parameters to be passed as extra parameters
; to the sendmail binary.
These parameters will always replace the value of
; the 5th
parameter to mail(), even in safe mode.
;mail.force_extra_parameters =

Yet, I don't see any mail in the mail box with the address $email is at. Can anyone on the list please give me
some pointers on what I may have done wrong here?

Thanks for your help.
Alice

From: "Keith Davis" on
Why are you using Live's SMTP servers? Is this hosted on live.com? If it
is not, I am sure they will require authentication, if thy allow for
this at all. If it is hosted there, probably needs to be localhost as
the smtp server.

Keith Davis (214) 906-5183

[...]

Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from
your inbox.
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:
ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_2

This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential or otherwise privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secured or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message or that arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version from the sender.

www.pridedallas.com

From: Richard Quadling on
On 12 April 2010 14:47, Keith Davis <keithdavis(a)pridedallas.com> wrote:
> Why are you using Live's SMTP servers? Is this hosted on live.com? If it
> is not, I am sure they will require authentication, if thy allow for
> this at all. If it is hosted there, probably needs to be localhost as
> the smtp server.
>
> Keith Davis (214) 906-5183

The recipient (held in $email) needs to be an address held on the
live.com server.

You will not be able to use the live.com mail servers to send email to
me (at GMail.com), for example.

That is called relaying and more specifically, due to the lack of
security, an open relay.

If you want to use live.com to send email to someone not on their
servers, then you would need to use authentication. This may not be
just a case of a username/password, but also logging into your POP3
mailbox as a proof of a "real" program and user.

--
-----
Richard Quadling
From: Alice Wei on

> From: rquadling(a)googlemail.com
> Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:54:24 +0100
> To: keithdavis(a)pridedallas.com
> CC: ajwei(a)alumni.iu.edu; php-windows(a)lists.php.net
> Subject: Re: [PHP-WIN] Mail Function Not Working
>
> On 12 April 2010 14:47, Keith Davis <keithdavis(a)pridedallas.com> wrote:
> > Why are you using Live's SMTP servers? Is this hosted on live.com? If it
> > is not, I am sure they will require authentication, if thy allow for
> > this at all. If it is hosted there, probably needs to be localhost as
> > the smtp server.
> >
> > Keith Davis (214) 906-5183

No, the site I am creating is not on the live.com server, so in this case, looks like I would be relaying it. From what you said, looks like POP3, pop3.live.com is not going to work
either.

I have set up Windows Mail as my default mail program, but if relaying is not going to work, then which addresses can I use to send emails to recipients who use the site?

Thanks for your help.

Alice

From: "Sascha Meyer" on
Hi Alice,

Alice wrote:
> I have an issue here where I see no PHP errors on my mail
> function usage, and yet I am not getting the mail in the desired
> account. Here is what I have for my PHP code:
>
> $headers = "From: ajwei(a)alumni.iu.edu" ;
> $to = $email;
> $subject =
> "Comments Regarding My Site";
> $body = "From: $your_name\n E-Mail:
> $email\n Reason Contact: $question\n Comments:\n $comments";
> mail($to,
> $subject, $body,$headers);
>
> This is what I have in my PHP.ini:
>
> [mail
> function]
> ; For Win32 only.
> SMTP = smtp.live.com
> smtp_port =
> 587

As Keith and Richard already told, it is not enough to point PHP to an existing mail server, you also need to take care of proper authentication or relaying of messages.

To get you started, here are two tutorials for sending mails with SMTP authentication (one using a PEAR class, the other uses sockets instead of the mail function):

http://email.about.com/od/emailprogrammingtips/qt/PHP_Email_SMTP_Authentication.htm
http://www.codewalkers.com/c/a/Email-Code/Smtp-Auth-Email-Script/

If your provider requires "SMTP after POP", it will be quite tricky (but not impossible) to send mails with PHP.

Regards,

Sascha

--
GRATIS f�r alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!