From: Victor Duchovni on
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:16:47AM -0700, Bob Eastbrook wrote:

> I use wildcard MX records for mail, and a wildcard CNAME for web
> traffic. For example:
>
> *.example.com = MX record for mail.example.com
> *.example.com = CNAME myapp.appspot.com

This is invalid. No DNS domain can resolve to a CNAME and to other data.
A CNAME is a pointer to data held elsewhere, and makes the domain in
question unable to hold any other record type.

Any decent DNS configuration validation tool should pick this up. The
correct solution is:

*.example.com. IN CNAME myapp.appspot.com.
myapp.appspot.com. IN MX 0 mail.example.com.

If you don't control the DNS for myapp.appspot.com, you are out of luck!

--
Viktor.