From: Aznan on
Hi, i would like to configure a retention policy for all of our users (for
their respective Sent Items, Deleted Items and Inbox).

I have googled around and found a few solutions.

One of it is to go to Exchange Mgmt Console > Mailbox > managed default
folders and set policies there

However, there is another way of which can be configured via Exchange Mgmt
Console > Mailbox > Managed folder mailbox policies.

I'm a bit confused on the differences between configuring the retention
policy via managed default folders and Managed folder mailbox policies?

Can anyone explain?

Your inputs will be highly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Aznan
The International School of Penang (Uplands)
Malaysia
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 01:13:35 -0700, Aznan
<aznan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, i would like to configure a retention policy for all of our users (for
>their respective Sent Items, Deleted Items and Inbox).
>
>I have googled around and found a few solutions.
>
>One of it is to go to Exchange Mgmt Console > Mailbox > managed default
>folders and set policies there
>
>However, there is another way of which can be configured via Exchange Mgmt
>Console > Mailbox > Managed folder mailbox policies.
>
>I'm a bit confused on the differences between configuring the retention
>policy via managed default folders and Managed folder mailbox policies?
>
>Can anyone explain?

You create managed folders and their content settings in "Organization
Configuration | Mailbox | Managed Default Folders" or "... | Managed
Custom Folders".

You create the policies at "Organization Configuration | Mailbox |
Managed Folder Mailbox Policies".

You assign a policy to a mailbox at "Recipient Configuration | Mailbox
| <select mailbox>"
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Aznan on
Hi, thanks for your reply, i'll first explain my objective.

I would like to configure retention policy for all of our Exchange Mailboxes
as below:-

Inbox - 365days (Permanently Delete)
Sent Items - 60Days (Permanently Delete)
Deleted Items - 14days (Permanently Delete)

Is it possible to set a policy that is automatically applied across all of
my Exchange Mailboxes (for everyone) so that i dont have to go the each
recipients to configure their retention policy individually?

I dont want any "Managed Custom folder" to appear on any of my recipients
Mailboes when they logon to their email.

I want to apply a retention policy for the abovementioned default folders.

I want to make it as transparent as possible for all of my users so that
they dont have to manage it themselves.

What i have done:-

I went to "Organization Configuration" | "Mailbox" |"Managed Default
Folders" and configured a new "Managed Content Settings" for Sent Items where
:

The Length of retention period is - 1day (for testing purposes)
Action to take at the end of the retention period - Permanently Delete

But nothing seems to happen after 1 day ?

What else do i have to configure to achive this ?

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:41:39 -0700, Aznan
<aznan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, thanks for your reply, i'll first explain my objective.
>
>I would like to configure retention policy for all of our Exchange Mailboxes
>as below:-
>
>Inbox - 365days (Permanently Delete)
>Sent Items - 60Days (Permanently Delete)
>Deleted Items - 14days (Permanently Delete)
>
>Is it possible to set a policy that is automatically applied across all of
>my Exchange Mailboxes (for everyone) so that i dont have to go the each
>recipients to configure their retention policy individually?

You can use the set-mailbox cmdlet to assign the policy to each
mailbox (or to selected mailboxes).

>I dont want any "Managed Custom folder" to appear on any of my recipients
>Mailboes when they logon to their email.

Then don't create any. Using managed custom folders requires
"enterprise" CALs for the clients.

>I want to apply a retention policy for the abovementioned default folders.
>
>I want to make it as transparent as possible for all of my users so that
>they dont have to manage it themselves.
>
>What i have done:-
>
>I went to "Organization Configuration" | "Mailbox" |"Managed Default
>Folders" and configured a new "Managed Content Settings" for Sent Items where
>:
>
>The Length of retention period is - 1day (for testing purposes)
>Action to take at the end of the retention period - Permanently Delete
>
>But nothing seems to happen after 1 day ?

Did you modify the schedule on the mailbox server's property page? Did
you use the Start-ManagedFolderAssistant cmdlet to run the process on
just one mailbox?
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP