From: RG on
I have 3 jobs in My maintenance plan. The jobs are connected by precedence
constraints. In each case, the constraint is set to completion. It appears
that all the jobs are being executed at the same time. My goal is to execute
the next job as long as the previous job completes, irregardless whether it
fails or succeeds. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
From: John Bell on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:25:02 -0700, RG <RG(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have 3 jobs in My maintenance plan. The jobs are connected by precedence
>constraints. In each case, the constraint is set to completion. It appears
>that all the jobs are being executed at the same time. My goal is to execute
>the next job as long as the previous job completes, irregardless whether it
>fails or succeeds. Any help is appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance

Hi

The precedence constraint would determine the order that tasks (not
jobs) are executed. Why do you think they are being run in parallel?

John
From: Jeffrey Williams on
If you are using the Execute SQL Agent Job task - or executing
sp_start_job - then I would expect this behavior. Both of those will return
success if the agent job was started and failure if the job was not started.
These tasks do not wait until completion of the actual agent job.

From: John Bell on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:58:58 -0700, "Jeffrey Williams"
<jeff.williams3188(a)verizon.net> wrote:

>If you are using the Execute SQL Agent Job task - or executing
>sp_start_job - then I would expect this behavior. Both of those will return
>success if the agent job was started and failure if the job was not started.
>These tasks do not wait until completion of the actual agent job.
>
>"John Bell" <jbellnewsposts(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:25:02 -0700, RG <RG(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have 3 jobs in My maintenance plan. The jobs are connected by
>>>precedence
>>>constraints. In each case, the constraint is set to completion. It
>>>appears
>>>that all the jobs are being executed at the same time. My goal is to
>>>execute
>>>the next job as long as the previous job completes, irregardless whether
>>>it
>>>fails or succeeds. Any help is appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> The precedence constraint would determine the order that tasks (not
>> jobs) are executed. Why do you think they are being run in parallel?
>>
>> John

In that's case he needs to run the package in a task and not execute
the job!

John