From: Lance Wynn on
I have to take it back, I tried it again, and it worked without modifying
the code. Perhaps I copied it wrong the first time I tried it. Anyway, it
works on an XP Machine running in a VM without any problem now.

From: Mike Williams on
"DanS" <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t(a)a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a.n.e.t> wrote in message

> OK, I'm back with some more experimenting (was testing for an
> hour)......The deal is, for some reason in the IDE, I never see the
> WM_CTLCOLORLISTBOX message sent to the LB parent,
> Picture1. Spy++ never sees this notification. I was thinking maybe
> it had something to do with my shell not being explorer,

Possibly. In your previous responses you said you were using XP SP1 but made
no mention of a different shell and I assumed you were using a standard XP
setup. What are you actually using?

> so i decided to try it on the wife's PC. VS is not installed there,
> so I compiled and ran it there, and it worked fine.

Good. One down, one to go ;-)

> Hmmm. Run the compiled one on this PC and it works as well.
> Odd that that msg wouldn't be sent in the IDE.

Nice one ;-) So it works, when compiled, on your own non standard shell
machine too.

> Sorry for all the trouble guys.

That's okay. No problem. These things make life interesting ;-) And Lance
has just reported that it works on his machine as well (the only other
machine on which it originally did not work). He thinks he might have copied
the code wrongly when he initially tried it. So, it seems to be working on
all machines now ;-)

Mike

From: Mike Williams on
"DanS" <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t(a)a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a.n.e.t> wrote in message

.. . . incidentally, something I never pointed out in my post (although I
made a small comment about it in the example code) you can make the
"translucent colour" anything you wish. It doesn't need to be white. For
example, if you want to use white text in the ListBox you can make the
translucent colour black and set your desired degree of translucency,
guaranteeing that all of the text can be seen regardless of the colour of
the underlying picture at that point. And, of course, you can use red or
yellow or blue or any other colour you wish.

Mike

From: DanS on
"Mike Williams" <mikea(a)whiskyandCoke.com> wrote in

> That's okay. No problem. These things make life interesting ;-) And
> Lance has just reported that it works on his machine as well (the only
> other machine on which it originally did not work). He thinks he might
> have copied the code wrongly when he initially tried it. So, it seems
> to be working on all machines now ;-)
>
> Mike

Any idea why the msg wouldn't be sent in the IDE ?

DanS

From: Mike Williams on

> Any idea why the msg wouldn't be sent in the IDE ?

Not at the moment. Many things work differently in the IDE than when
compiled, for various reasons as I'm sure you already know, but it is
usually consistent and usually for a specific reason. But in this specific
case yours appears to be the only machine out of the dozen or so machines on
which the code has been tried that has the IDE problem. It isn't a real
problem of course, because the compiled exe works fine on your machine, but
it's interesting nonetheless. Is there anything out of the ordinary about
your setup?

Mike