From: Boaz Harrosh on

I get this problem: When a few Header files are changed, like when doing
a git checkout the Makefile is complaining about mrproper needed.

Now I'm building a:
make ARCH=arch KBUILD_OUTPUT=.build_arch/

But a:
make ARCH=arch KBUILD_OUTPUT=.build_arch/ mrproper

Will not help. What the Makefile wants is a:
make mrproper

doing the "make mrproper" does solves it.
It used to be fine, I'm not sure when it started to break.

How can I debug this to see what is the offending files?

Thanks
Boaz

From: Michal Marek on
On 17.6.2010 00:05, Boaz Harrosh wrote:

> I get this problem: When a few Header files are changed, like when doing
> a git checkout the Makefile is complaining about mrproper needed.
>
> Now I'm building a:
> make ARCH=arch KBUILD_OUTPUT=.build_arch/
>
> But a:
> make ARCH=arch KBUILD_OUTPUT=.build_arch/ mrproper
>
> Will not help. What the Makefile wants is a:
> make mrproper
>
> doing the "make mrproper" does solves it.
> It used to be fine, I'm not sure when it started to break.
>
> How can I debug this to see what is the offending files?

The makefile errors out if the source directory is configured (*),
because having random object files in the source directory would confuse
the VPATH build.

(*) Means: either .config or include/config exists

Michal
From: Boaz Harrosh on
On 06/17/2010 04:43 AM, Michal Marek wrote:
> On 17.6.2010 00:05, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
>>
>> I get this problem: When a few Header files are changed, like when doing
>> a git checkout the Makefile is complaining about mrproper needed.
>>
>> Now I'm building a:
>> make ARCH=arch KBUILD_OUTPUT=.build_arch/
>>
>> But a:
>> make ARCH=arch KBUILD_OUTPUT=.build_arch/ mrproper
>>
>> Will not help. What the Makefile wants is a:
>> make mrproper
>>
>> doing the "make mrproper" does solves it.
>> It used to be fine, I'm not sure when it started to break.
>>
>> How can I debug this to see what is the offending files?
>
> The makefile errors out if the source directory is configured (*),
> because having random object files in the source directory would confuse
> the VPATH build.
>
> (*) Means: either .config or include/config exists

OK, Thanks. What I see is that when I do:
make ARCH=um KBUILD_OUTPUT=.build_um INSTALL_MOD_PATH=$FS_LOCAL_MOUNT modules_install

I get a phantom empty include/config directory. The INSTALL_MOD_PATH=$FS_LOCAL_MOUNT is
because I'm installing into the uml image file.

This only happens when some include/... header files changed since the last make.
The "make ARCH=um KBUILD_OUTPUT=.build_um" stage is fine only after the modules_install
stage it appears.

> Michal

Thanks
Boaz